Bug in predefined volume and brightness buttons

I've set the predefined buttons for volume up/down as well as brightness up/down on my touch bar to repeat while the button is pressed, but when I tap a few times in quick succession, the volume or brightness will continue after I let go, to maximum or minimum. This happens most but not all of the time. The HUD overlay also remains on the screen permanently, and if eg. it shows maximum volume, tapping volume down only reduces it temporarily before it continues back to full volume as if I were still pressing on volume up. The only way to get out of this is to hold the opposite button ie. volume down in this case, which stabilises the volume and makes the HUD overlay disappear.

I've altered the repeat rate between 0.05 and 0.5s and restarted my MacBook but the issue still persists. Deselecting 'repeat while button is pressed' gets rid of the problem but I'm a heavy user of the feature. I'm worried if I remove and reinstall BTT to try and resolve this, my settings may be lost - can anyone advise?

Device information:

• Type of Mac: Macbook Pro 13-inch 2017
  • macOS version: 10.14.2 Mojave
  • BetterTouchTool version: 2.660

Many thanks!