BTT won't start on my Mac.

BetterTouchTool won't start on my Mac. It was working normally yesterday, but it just refuses to run.
I always leave it to update automatically, so I'm the newest version.
Already tried to restart the system and reinstalling BTT. When I click on it's icon on launchpad, nothing happens.

Affected input device is all of them. BTT doesn't start

Macbook Pro 2016: i7, 16gb ram, 256 ssd
MacOS Catalina 10.15
Latest official BTT version

Won't BTT ever work anymore? I'm still trying with no success.
EDIT: I was using Aquatouch before it stopped working, not sure if this counts.
EDIT 2: Tried to manually delete all of it's folders and reinstalling. No success.

Hey,

you can probably fix it by following the steps described here: https://folivora.ai/blog/post/13010
If that doesn't help, could you check whether there are any crashlogs in the macOS Console app under "User Reports"?

Thanks for the response, Andreas.
It did the trick! I just can't believe it was that simple. Thank you again.

1 Like

I'm having this issue and the steps listed in the link within the Solution does not work. I do have errors in the console and can provide those directly to someone who can help me. The Application Specific Information: error states:

abort() called
terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException```

I'm also unable to start BTT like CVarela described.

If I try to launch it, it crashes. I then see a dialog asking I would like to send a report to apple. It provides the following details:

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal:    Illegal instruction: 4
Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0x4
Terminating Process:   exc handler [2190]

Application Specific Information:
Crashing on exception: -[NSFlippableView(0x7fce549a0270) lockFocus] failed with window=0x0, windowNumber=0, [self isHiddenOrHasHiddenAncestor]=0

I'm on the alpha channel and have only started seeing this problem a few days ago after updating. I'm unable to switch off alpha (since I can't open up BTT settings).

I also tried following the steps in the solution linked above. I already had these settings enabled, and trying to disable them caused my computer to freeze and required a hard restart.

Let me know if I can provide any more information :grinning: and thank you for any help!

EDIT: I tried removing BTT from my Privacy>Accessibility apps, then added it again, and after that was able to launch the app again. @CVarela maybe that would help you as well?

@juancaicedo I have tried that multiple times. It still doesn't work.

Same problem here - v 3.219 (1396). That is to say: BTT itself starts and is working as supposed, but on opening the configuration window I get a crash report (see attachment) but strangely the app continues to work.
Removing and adding BTT to the Accessibility apps didn't help.
BetterTouchTool_2020-01-08-100812_MacBookPro-2.crash (98.7 KB) .

BTT doesn't even show up in my "Privacy" list of applications; I can't even get the application to launch after opening the .zip file, so it never even prompts me to allow it to control my system. It works fine on an identical (yet slightly older and slower) iMac running the same version of Catalina, but I can't get ANYTHING out of it on this Mac.