BTT Stops Working Briefly Ocassionaly after Ventura Update

Describe the bug
After the Ventura Update, BTT sometimes ceases to work momentarily. I often notice this when I am scrolling and the scrolling direction will suddenly reverse because I have this turned on in BTT, but I can confirm that all BTT triggers will stop working during those brief few seconds. No crash report pops up. In fact I am not even sure if BTT is crashing entirely because Bartender keeps it hidden in the menubar. Maybe it's just a hang, or temporary cessation of service? Either way, functionality is restored automatically about 3-4 seconds later.

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):
BTT as a whole.

Device information:

• Type of Mac: Macbook Pro 2021 M1 Max 32GB
  • macOS version: 13.1 (22C65)
  • BetterTouchTool version: 3.952

Additional information (e.g. StackTraces, related issues, screenshots, workarounds, etc.):
This has been happening ever since the Ventura update, though I am just reporting it now. I figured it might go away by itself eventually but it is still happening. I have Exported BTT Debug package likely in less than a minute after one such occurrence and am ready to provide it if there is interest. This should make it easier to identify what is actually happening.

Also, though often noticed when scrolling or performing other actions, it is possible that it is happening other times as well. I am not sure if there is a relationship between executing something BTT is somehow affecting or if it is just happening even when the computer is idle.

Thank you.

I haven't had similar reports yet, however this could happen if the system is super busy for some reason. In that case macOS can decide to not route events through BTT, making BTT unable to e.g. reverse the scroll direction.

If this happens, could you check Activity Monitor whether there is any process that takes a really high amount of CPU? (Could be BTT itself if there is a config issue or bug)

Will do!

It happened again just now. Highest app seemed to be firefox, taking up 30% among all other apps, but CPU usage was not high. I do notice that there is a peak on the 2 primary cores but I'm not sure if that was it (only thought to take the iStatsMenus screenshots a little while after).

I had unhidden BTT from Bartender though and I can confirm that BTT existed as a whole and restarted itself.

Some screenshots for your consideration:

I'm having a similar problem with BTT 3.991; while it is running, mouse clicks and scroll actions randomly disappear, sometimes I have to click three times to get a click recognized. The problem goes away immediately when closing BTT

@proactivematter could you send me the debug export you created (if you still have it?) - andreas@folivora.ai

Done!

Another crash report here that happened upon calling a trigger I use often (i.e. not problematic). Happy to keep providing these as they happen - let me know if they are useful to you or not, and if I should be exporting debugs to pair with each report.

that’s again a shortcut triggering itself in an endless loop :slight_smile: activate „prevent recursive triggers“ to get rid of that crash

Ah! Sorry. Must be an older one; since I just learned of the "Prevent Recursive Triggers" checkbox. I probably have a few set up improperly. I'll look to comb through everything and fix it.