BTT notification upgrade notification

Note: Before bug reporting, please make sure you have tried the latest (alpha) version of BetterTouchTool and that you have already tried to restart your system :-). If you encounter a crash, please attach a crash log from the macOS Console.app from the "User Diagnostic Reports" section.

Describe the bug
A clear and concise description of what the bug is.

The popup to upgrade the license returns within an hour after I click continue trial. Opening new license works but no the downgrade to the latest covered version button for me. Nothing happens when pressed...

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):
MBP

Screenshots
If applicable, add screenshots to help explain your problem. (You can just paste or drag them here)

Device information:

• Type of Mac: Apple M1 Pro
  • macOS version: 13.1 (22C65)
  • BetterTouchTool version: (please post the exact version - not just "the latest one") Version 3.936 (2101)

Additional information (e.g. StackTraces, related issues, screenshots, workarounds, etc.):

Maybe your trial has already ended? Does it show how many days you have left?

' Your BetterTouchTool License doesn't cover this version of BetterTouchTool anymore :confused:'

That's the message I'm seeing? How do I downgrade to the last supported version and get rid of the message please?

clicking the downgrade button still seems to work fine here, if it does not for some reason you can also download older versions vis Index of /releases

Do you know the last supported version please? I currently have Version 3.936 (2101) installed and I bought the standard license back on 8 Jul 2018. Thanks!

PS Yep, the button doesn't work for me at all. The other two buttons work but not this one. I even tried copy and pasting it into a browser.

The last version released before 8 Jul 2020 is this one:

[ ] btt3.392-1616.zip 2020-06-30

Just a note: these old versions are not optimized for Apple Silicon because it didn't exist back then. This means they will load in the Rosetta emulation, which means significantly higher CPU / energy usage on Apple Silicon chips. While they will still work I would recommend a license upgrade.

I would like to express my personal opinion. BTT can be tested for 45 days for free. I claim after this time you should know if you want to use the app or not. If the answer is yes, then it hardly makes sense to buy a license for 2 years. No one who has used BTT for 2 years suddenly wants to give it up. There is no other app that offers more. And I promise everyone that this will not change anytime soon.

That's why it makes sense to buy a lifetime license right away. That is cheaper in the long run and you have no update problems. And no, I am not affiliated with the developer and have no benefit from this recommendation. :slightly_smiling_face:

If I could decide, I would abolish the 2 year license. It creates more problems than it solves.

@Frank1 the 2 year licenses are the (by far) most sold license type, many people hear about BTT in some Stackoverflow post, Twitter, some forum or from some friends. Most of the time they have been looking to solve just one or two specific things. However they often discover what BTT allows them to do even years after their first installation and then decide to upgrade their license or continue to buy 2 year licenses.

Having only lifetime licenses would limit the user base a lot, because people don't pay ~$20 to solve just a few issues they have. There are many many users out there who just keep the last version they received during the 2 year updates as long as they can - and this is totally fine if it works for them. The Apple Silicon migration is of course a bit special and maybe I should inform users who use an old version on a Apple Silicon machine, I think I could do this through the updater.

By now I have pretty good data on this, and I think removing standard licenses would make it impossible for me to keep BTT profitable (as my only job)

I understand that, and I certainly don't want BTT to be unprofitable for you. I wish you to sell what is most useful for you. And fortunately that seems to be the case. :slightly_smiling_face:

But I speak from the user's point of view and for him it is advantageous in the long run to have a lifetime license. It would stay that way even if it were more expensive. As I said, this is my personal opinion. Everyone is allowed to have a different one. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yep, I think there are multiple conflicting requirements from user & developer point of view. Currently I think the standard/lifetime (and Setapp) solution fits most user needs and works very well for me, but of course, having only lifetime licenses would make things easier :slight_smile:

I'm sure you know the market. All the apps I know that have a similar feature set to BTT are significantly more expensive. KM costs $36. Other apps with only one feature cost $15. And not for life, just until the next major update. Your prices are very generous.

I, for example, didn't know that the 2 year license would be more useful to you. Maybe I would have gone for it if I had known. After all, I want BTT to be developed further. Unfortunately I can't undo it. But I would have no problem if BTT 4.0 would require a new license. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Lifetime licenses are perfect, don't worry! They increase the current revenue stream, standard licenses keep the continuous revenue stream. Both work well together (for me).
There won't be paid updates for lifetime licenses, if I ever feel that the model does not work anymore, I'll remove the lifetime license option, but existing lifetime customers won't need to pay again :wink:

2 Likes

Yep, should have bought back then right away. £ was favourable to the dollar as well. Now time has gone and yeah I only use one or two shortcuts of BTT so ideally won't want to pay again for the license :smiley: Having said that, I'll wait for the next black Friday to see what offers are there for us ha! Thank you very much for the app and the support, Andreas.