BTT is running but can't see window

BTT "opens" as in its running in Activity Monitor and my keyboard shortcuts work, but I cannot see the window and no matter if I restart, reinstall, end all tasks, and reopen, I can't see the BTT window.

Device information:

• Type of Mac: MacBook Pro M1 Max
  • macOS version: Sonoma 14.1.2
  • BetterTouchTool version: 4.433

So just the be sure, by default the BTT window doesn't show. You need to open it:

(if you have hidden the BTT menubar icon, "launch" BTT again while it is already running to open the preferences)

Hi Andreas, thanks for the quick reply, unfortunately, I don't see the menu bar item either. No matter how many times I reopen BTT from applications, from spotlight, etc. I do not see the window or menubar icon.

That is weird, then maybe something is crashing it.
Could you go to ~/Library/Application Support/BetterTouchTool/Logs and send the log files to andreas@folivora.ai? (go there via FInder => Go => Go to Folder, make sure to include the ~)

1 Like

Thanks for sending!
Unfortunately I can't seem to see anything obvious. Is it possible the menubar icon is not shown because you have too many other menubar icons visible?

Can you try whether executing this terminal command opens your preferences?

osascript -e 'tell application "BetterTouchTool" to trigger_action "{BTTPredefinedActionType: 105}"'

Ah, that does work, thankfully I can access my BTT config again.

I noticed I did have the menu bar item off in the UI config, but I enjoyed accessing BTT in the past by turning off the menubar icon and only accessing config by Spotlight/Raycast searching "btt". It seems I'll have to leave the menubar icon there so I can launch the window with the "Configuration" menu option.

Did you maybe at some point execute this terminal command (it was used by some users who encountered an issue where BTT preferences showed up randomly - this issue has since been fixed as far as I know):

defaults write com.hegenberg.BetterTouchTool BTTDontShowPrefsOnReopen YES

If so, setting that to NO (while BTT is quit), will make it work again via SPotlight etc.

1 Like

Ah, I must've! Setting that back to NO fixed it! :saluting_face: