BTT default taskbar buttons stop work randomly

Describe the bug
At random times the default BTT buttons disappear and are replaced by the system buttons.

Buttons with modifier keys still work. Pressing a modifier key will cause those buttons to appear on taskbar. Switching screens or apps doesn't help, even if app has separate config. The system buttons are always shown on the taskbar unless a modifier key is held down.

Nothing I've attempted fixes this. Restarting, quitting BTT app and starting, restarting the laptop, removing the button configuration and creating a new one, upgrading to latest alpha I could find.

I love BTT but this renders it is unusable. I've disabled for now, installed Touch Bar Disabler totally disable the touchbar, and remapped CapsLock to ESC.

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):

Macbook Pro

Device information:

• Type of Mac: Macbook Pro
  • macOS version: 10.13.3
  • BetterTouchTool version: 2.557, but i upgraded to this attempting to fix, started with 2.53X or so.

Bettertouchtool only hides it's touchbar if you either

• press the x on the left side of the Touchbar
  • press the BetterTouchTool icon you can optionally display in the Touchbar
  • press the BTT icon in the control strip of the Touch Bar
  • Trigger the predefined action Toggle BetterTouchTool Touchbar
  • you have set app specific Touchbar behavior in BTT to hide the Touchbar

In any case I think it's always a good idea to define a keyboard shortcut and assign the "toggle BetterTouchTool Touchbar" predefined action. Then you can easily change between system and BetterTouchTool Touchbar

I think somehow the custom Touchbar gets deactivated, and find this especially common when the laptop wakes from sleep. Now that I have a keyboard shortcut mapped to reactivate, it's a minor nuisance.

I think the UI component for "Your custom Touch Bar is currently hidden" is too subtle. I'd suggest stronger colors (red or yellow background). Maybe make it clickable, so that clicking reverts to more subtle colors.

Fantastic product, I wouldn't use a Macbook Pro with Touchbar without BTT! (Apparently I am a very sloppy typist and was always accidentally hitting the touchbar, often causing a cancel action and losing all my input ... infuriating!)