BTT creating lots of processes

Hi there,

Restarted plenty of times and use the latest Alpha

Describe the bug
When BTT is running a lot of bash processes are created over time which I can see in Activity Monitor. They all point to "BetterTouchToolShellScriptRunner".

Chrome and Electron apps (Obsidian/MS Teams) seem to be affected the most, and after some time no .dmg's can be mounted and Terminal does not work:
"[forkpty: Resource temporarily unavailable]
[Could not create a new process and open a pseudo-tty.]"

Maybe I misconfigured something in BTT, but I'm not a heavy user and only added a shortcut for one application recently.

If I disable BTT no more bash processes are added. If I quit BTT, no. of bash processes is reduced...

What can do to troubleshoot?

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):
Mac Mini M1, mostly Electron apps

Device information:

• Type of Mac: Mac mini M1
  • macOS version: Ventura 13.3.1 (a)
  • BetterTouchTool version: (please post the exact version - not just "the latest one") 4.075 (2291)

Thanks in advance for any hint.

do you maybe run some scripts that do not „end“ but keep running? In general the script runner closes if a script has run.

Thanks Andreas,

is there a way to find out which script keeps running?

I tested a little bit by keeping an eye on the activity monitor and triggering shortcuts/automations I often use - but could spot no pattern...but the "bash" remain and dramatically increase as soon as I start Chrome (although I have no automations/triggers for it).

It's a little bit strange as my MacBook Air M1 does run smoothly with similar (but not identical) presets.

Viele Grüße
Conny

it’s a bit weird, as macOS shouldn’t even create multiple instances of that process if everything would work correctly.

Could you go to help -> export diagnostic debug information and send the result to me? (andreas@folivora.ai) Maybe I can figure out what’s happening

1 Like