[BTT 3.084][macOS 10.15 Beta 2] Command Key acts as Option Key

Describe the bug
The "command" modifier key hides icons only meant to be hidden when the "option" modifier key is pressed.

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):
Touch Bar

Screenshots
N/A

Device information:

• Type of Mac: 2018 15" MacBook Pro
  • macOS version: 10.15 Beta 1 (Build 19A471t)
  • BetterTouchTool version: 3.081

Note: I understand if this issue is unimportant since I am on a beta version of macOS, but I hope it can be fixed!

Additional information (e.g. StackTraces, related issues, screenshots, workarounds, etc.):
So far, the workaround that seems to work is to create two copies of a button. The first one is active when "NO modifier key is pressed OR if NONE of these are pressed": {option}. The second one is active when "all these modifiers are pressed": {command}, since it is acting like the option key and hiding the first button.

Note: Before bug reporting, please make sure you have the latest version of BetterTouchTool and that you have already tried to restart your system :-). If you encounter a crash, please attach a crash log from the macOS Console.app from the "User Diagnostic Reports" section.
:white_check_mark:

Update: This problem persists in macOS 10.15 Beta 2 (Build 19A487l) and BTT v3.084

bump?

sorry, I'm not on Catalina yet (beta 2 if just too buggy to invest time for workarounds). I'll probably upgrade with beta 3!

1 Like

No problem, and my bad - you already told me that! Thanks!

I have now installed beta 3 :slight_smile:
Could you provide an example where this behavior occurs? (best to copy the trigger in BTT via cmd+c, then paste it here as json using cmd+v)

I'm still on Beta 2 (Public #1) for a few more hours, but here it is. Even though it is set to only hide when option is pressed, it also hides when command is pressed.

[
  {
    "BTTTouchBarButtonName" : "test",
    "BTTTriggerType" : 629,
    "BTTTriggerTypeDescription" : "Touch Bar button",
    "BTTTriggerClass" : "BTTTriggerTypeTouchBar",
    "BTTPredefinedActionType" : -1,
    "BTTPredefinedActionName" : "No Action",
    "BTTEnabled2" : 1,
    "BTTAlternateModifierKeys" : 524288,
    "BTTUUID" : "178471CD-9AD2-4918-8FEC-58076EBE0CCC",
    "BTTNotesInsteadOfDescription" : 0,
    "BTTEnabled" : 1,
    "BTTModifierMode" : 2,
    "BTTOrder" : 4,
    "BTTDisplayOrder" : 0,
    "BTTMergeIntoTouchBarGroups" : 0,
    "BTTTriggerConfig" : {
      "BTTTouchBarButtonColor" : "75.323769, 75.323769, 75.323769, 255.000000",
      "BTTTouchBarItemIconWidth" : 22,
      "BTTTouchBarButtonTextAlignment" : 0,
      "BTTTouchBarItemPlacement" : 0,
      "BTTTouchBarButtonFontSize" : 15,
      "BTTTouchBarAlwaysShowButton" : false,
      "BTTTBWidgetWidth" : 400,
      "BTTTouchBarButtonWidth" : 100,
      "BTTTouchBarOnlyShowIcon" : false,
      "BTTTouchBarFreeSpaceAfterButton" : 5,
      "BTTTouchBarButtonName" : "test",
      "BTTTouchBarItemIconHeight" : 22,
      "BTTTouchBarItemPadding" : 0
    }
  }
]

This seems to work correctly here (only hides on option). Is this fixed in beta 3 or can you still reproduce the issue on your machine?

Hm. It's still broken for me. I'm on Public Beta 2 (Build 19A501i) and BTT v3.099.

Is your command key maybe remapped to option for some reason?

(System Preferences => Keyboard > Modifier Keys)

It was normal, but I clicked restore defaults to make sure. However, command still hides the test button on my system. Is there like a "debug" mode that I can turn on to see what is happening?

mh not really for this kind of thing.
You could try to go to the key sequences section in BTT and check whether BTT sees all modifiers correctly:

It does, weirdly enough...

No idea what's going on.