Describe the bug
This buggy behavior persists in BetterTouchTool since as long as I can think.
When BTT is freshly started (starting with MacOS here normally) Magic Mouse behavior is perfectly normal.
Horizontal scrolling in Mac OS works as intended (for example to dismiss notifications, navigate on webpages, in Finder Windows, etc …).
After a while though Magic Mouse scrolling behavior (and as far as I can see this EXCLUSIVELY is related to horizontal scrolling) deteriorates and stops working entirely.
You have to restart BTT from the BTT Advanced Settings tab and immediately horizontal scrolling works again as intended. … until it deteriorates again.
This behavior has been with BTT over many Mac OS versions, several different MacBook Pros over the years with many different Magic Mice over all generations of them.
I am not using (as far as I am aware) any BTT magic mouse gestures.
I only use BTT for the keyboard shortcuts and windows management features.
Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):
- Type of Mac: Mac Book Pro 2018
- macOS version: Ventura 13.1 (22C65)
- BetterTouchTool version: Version 3.952 (2117)
Do you have the steer mouse app running?
I haven't heard about any scroll issues with BTT alone, but I think there have been reports about issues when Steer Mouse is installed.
I don’t know what this SteerMouse app is.
How can I check if it is active?
Then I don't think you have it (you can check via activity monitor).
Any other mouse / keyboard related apps you have installed?
No, BTT is the only such app I have installed.
I also experience this exact bug for years on several MacBook Pro machines and on many Mac OS revisions (I am using BTT since it was in development and have used it ever since).
BTT is the only app related to keyboard / mouse behavior I ma aware of using.
This bug still behaves exactly the same in the latest BTT version:
Version 4.017 (2232)
I want to add:
It is NOT enough to "Restart BTT" to temporary fix the bug.
You have to terminate BTT to fix the bug temporarily.
sorry, unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to fix this as there have been no other reports and I can not reproduce it here.
If you want you could go to Help => Export Diagnostic Debug Info and send the result to firstname.lastname@example.org but I'm not sure whether the logs would contain anything useful here.