BetterSnapTool Has Not Been Working

Note:
Before bug reporting, please make sure you have tried the latest (alpha) version of BetterTouchTool and that you have already tried to restart your system :-). If you encounter a crash, please attach a crash log from the macOS Console.app from the "User Diagnostic Reports" section.

I have my BTT updated to the most recent version available according to my app. I have selected check for updates and received this notification:
"BetterTouchTool 3.401 is currently the newest version available. (You are currently running version 4.273."

Describe the bug
A clear and concise description of what the bug is. Any bug reports that contain insults against me or my software will be deleted without warning (unfortunately this has become necessary to mention here).

I have not been able to use window snapping feature on BTT since March 23, 2023 according to a recent look at my usage data. The feature has simply stopped working no matter what monitor resolution configuration I select or any settings reset/reboots I have attempted. I would simply like some help restoring this feature as it was one of the main reasons I originally purchased the software.

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):

BetterSnapTool feature on Mac Mini desktop

Screenshots
If applicable, add screenshots to help explain your problem. (You can just paste or drag them here)

Screenshot 2023-10-03 at 9.30.07 PM

Device information:

• Type of Mac: 2018 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 Mac Mini
    Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
  • macOS version: macOS Sonoma 14.0 (updated today, but feature hasn't been working since 03/2023)
  • BetterTouchTool version: BetterTouchTool 3.401 is currently the newest version available. (You are currently running version 4.273.)

Additional information (e.g. crash logs, related issues, etc.):

have you checked that window snapping is enabled in the bettertouchtool settings?

Yes I have enabled/disabled the feature and rebooted the app several times with no success restoring functionality.

possibly try to remove BTT from System Settings -> Privacy & Security -> Accessibility, then add it back again. It really needs to be removed, disabling is not enough. Sometimes after macOS upgrades the permissions get messed up.

I tried this again and it didn't help

Any other options for troubleshooting this issue?

Can you check whether window snapping maybe got accidentally deactivated on a per-app basis? If you disable it for the "Global" app, it will stop working everywhere:

Wanted to say, in case this happens to others, that I just migrated from an old Macbook to a new one and for some reason, the snapping wasn't working. Googled and ended up here.

Turns out, for some reason, "Disable BetterTouchTool completely" somehow was set and imported. As soon as I turned that off, it worked again.

Just thought I'd let you know so you can use that as one of your checks when helping others. Thanks!

1 Like

Hello would you be able to show a screenshot of where that would be located, for us visual learners? :smiley:

If you look at the screenshot Andreas posted with the big red arrow, it's below that, 2nd from the bottom.

I just followed the same instructions and happened to see it on the same list.

1 Like