Better touch tool using 99% CPU Power

Is there any followup on this? I have a 16" MBP and I had to reinstall BTT V2 to be able to use it again. Otherwise BTT CPU usage would increase continuously and have to restart it all the time.

I just upgraded BTT and now I have this exact issue. When I start it up, BTT and airportd are using 85% of my CPU and making my fans spin. It doesn't seem to happen every time though. I'll keep an eye on it.

Hello,

After updating to the latest BTT version which was launched today, or yesterday (latest at this moment), I started experiencing this bug.

airportd was at 99% CPU usage alongside BTT. Force Quitting BTT fixes this problem.

I assure you, absolutely nothing was changed in my scripts. This is not a script problem. The single difference for me was updating BTT. Haven't touched my config in many months.

did restarting BTT solve the issue or did it come back?

Airport is related to wifi networks, is there anything special about your wifi?

It seems that after BTT self-restarted, the issue did not come back. Could've been a one-time thing in my case. Nothing special about my wifi (2 networks on the same router and 1 network for my hotspot from phone are saved, nothing else). The only difference was the update. I'll write again if it comes back.

Did anyone ever find a definitive cause for this?

I've been getting both airportd and BetterTouchTool spiking CPU a few times a day since macOS Big Sur 11.6.1. Restarting Better Touch Tool via its menu always causes both processes to drop down again.

My BTT configuration is about as generic as it gets. I configured it to launch at startup, then added keyboard shortcuts for volume control, Show Desktop, Sleep Display, and launching two apps (Gyazo.app and Gyazo GIF.app).

If I capture a spindump next time, where would I send it?

Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 4.30.16 PM

I was able to reliably cause BTT to increase to 100% CPU. I did not have any similar issue with airportd. Attached sample.txt.zip was started before I caused it to happen and during.

The trigger was one of my shortcuts, a custom trackpad tap sequence. Upon triggering, the haptic feedback on my bluetooth Trackpad2 stopped working, but with "Tap to click" in System Preferences selected, I was still able to click.

BTT ramped up to 99% within about 3 seconds. Killing the process and restarting BTT restored the haptic feedback.

The resolution, for me, was to delete everything in my presets profile (and old profiles) and re-create them. Problem no longer occurs. Hope this helps someone.

sample.txt.zip (59.3 KB)

@james, it’s hard to tell from the sample but it looks like a keyboard shortcut that is triggering itself recursively. Do you have keyboard shortcuts configured in BTT?

What action does your tap sequence trigger?

No keyboard, just trackpad. I think I had the same shortcut in multiple profiles, causing this (sorry, already deleted old ones).

Trigger was custom trackpad sequence [1,2,3,4] => CMD+W

I'm still getting the BTT + airportd CPU burn issue periodically. It usually happens after a reboot, or after restarting Better Touch Tool to apply an update. Restarting BTT via its menu always fixes the issue immediately.

BTT CPU Burn.zip (218.3 KB)

I've attached a profiler dump. And here are the extent of all of my BTT shortcuts. Keyboard shortcuts are the only ones I've added. I've confirmed that all other categories are empty.

The same issue happens on two different Intel-based Macs. (A late 2014 MacBook Pro with i7, and a 2017 iMac Pro)