Allow customization of hyper-key modifiers

I’m really glad you’ve added hyper-key actions to BTT. I’ve been using Karabiner for that, and I’d like to try doing it in BTT instead.

However, my existing hyper-key does not include shift, and this is intentional. My caps lock key functions as cmd-ctrl-opt, which lets me make shortcuts both with and without shift.

For example, I have hyper-up arrow as “maximize window”, and hyper-shift-up arrow as “maximize window to top half”.

So I’d like to request the ability to choose which modifiers are included in the hyper-key.

It would be especially great if each hyper-key could have its modifiers set individually, so one could make multiple distinct hyper-keys with different modifiers. But that’s not strictly necessary. I mostly just want to be able to remove shift from the hyper key.

Thanks for listening, and thanks even more for making such a great utility.

Is there any chance of this happening? I'm having several conflicts with the default hyper key, and would also like the ability to set it to "Ctrl+option+command".

I agree! Adding ctrl+option+command allows you to use shift as a second hyper key layer. This is so helpful!

I am also interested in this. My use case for customizing it comes from connecting to a Windows machine via Jump Desktop. Windows does annoying things with the Office suite for the shift+ctrl+win+alt key combo, which is how the default hyper key would be translated.

If you want to use "cmd-ctrl-opt" as hyperkey, then do this.

1. in macos set caps lock to ctrl.

2. set up two key sequences (1) caps lock down, (2) caps lock up.

3. add to (1) the predefined actions cmd down, opt down. Add to (2) the predefined actions cmd up, opt up.

ctrl is not necessary because caps lock is ctrl.

I have tested this minimally, but it seems to work.

Oops, just seeing this! Could I make this work if I wanted Caps Lock to act as Escape if pressed without any other keys? My main usage of Caps Lock is as Escape, and I wouldn't want to lose out on that.

1 Like