After importing an outdated license, no way to import a newer license

Describe the bug
Imported an older license, was prompted with a "doesn't cover this version of BetterTouchTool anymore" screen, purchased new license. There doesn't seem to be a way to re-import the new key through the app ui..

Screenshots
If applicable, add screenshots to help explain your problem. (You can just paste or drag them here)

Device information:

• Type of Mac: ...
  • macOS version: High Sierra
  • BetterTouchTool version: 2.864

hey,

you can just double click the license file :slight_smile:

This is still a bug and should be fixed. After buying a new license, I shouldn't have to search around to figure out how it works. I would have never thought to double click on the license file, and the link that comes with the email to automatically activate the registration also doesn't work.

What happens when you click the link? This should definitely work :slight_smile:
Also it says right after the link in the license mail:

Alternatively just download & double-click the license file attached to this email

But I think I can add this note to the screen shown above, maybe that will help.

It does attempt to open the link with BTT (I think), and I remember a prompt asking me if I wanted to copy something to the Applications folder, but I think the license screen just opened up to the "your license has expired" screen. Once I finally saved the file and double clicked it in Finder, the license happened immediately like it should

I guess I was just being a typical "just click and don't read anything" user. I figured if the link didn't work, something was broken and I just stopped.

I am still on Mojave, if that makes a difference.

Anyway, thanks for the quick reply. I was expecting a button to select another license file, and I admit that I didn't read the part saying I could just double click.

Chiming in here: it's not intuitive to double click on the license file. If this post wasn't available or I wasn't able to find it, I'd be lost right now. The interface should allow the user to upload the license file and not just expect them to know to double click. Is this mentioned anywhere in the purchasing process?

I hope I don't sound like a curmudgeon as I'm a fan of your software and beneficiary of the good work you do.

1 Like

I agree with @Khaled_Taha, it is not standard behavior for macOS apps to completely hide license management UI from users.

You can always import licenses using the menu item:

But yes it's on my todo list to add an import option to the license end popup.

I had this problem and ended up deleting everything and starting over with the right license: deleted /Applications/BetterTouchTool.app and ~/Library/Application Support/BetterTouchTool, reinstalled BTT, and imported the correct license file. Then, imported my configuration (previously saved). Voilà, it works.