Activate RETURN key only if certains conditions are met?

As many, I ave a qwerty keyboards but set-up as international so I can write in French and using the "+i for ï or the `+e for è. Or event this last one: '+e = é

However, this one is tricky, as ' is right next to RETURN. And in chat apps, I can mistekenly press return instead of ' or ", sending my incomplete message to my recipient.

Is there a way, when using chat apps like Telegram or What's App, to make this RETURN key only working if either :

• double pressed RETURN consequtively
  • RETURN is pressed if no other keys where pressed within a 1 second span ?
  • RETURN is pressed for more than 2 seconds
  • Or any good criteria you might find clever?

For now, I just de-activated it using an empty action, but it's not ideal.

Thank you everyone !

You can disable Return as a shortcut in a certain app (Return = does nothing = no action) then set up a key sequence, double pressed Return = Return. Best with the action insert typed text.

Or if you prefer, Return short press = does nothing. Return long press (2 seconds) = Return.

I tried the long press setup, as per this thread

and I activated thr HUD to see if triggered. So the shortcut is trigerred, but nothing happen ?

I tried the Key sequence, and, instead of pressing enter the RETURN key assigned action has the effect of delecting the last 2 letters I wrote...

There is something I dont get...

Disable the undo :wink:

Maybe it would be more practical to remap ´ to some other key?

Maybe, but double pressed Return works fine. :sunglasses:

1 Like

okay it resolved the deleting thing, but now my HUD is telling me the shortcut is triggered while not sending the RETURN key... I'm losing it ^^

How could do that?

If you have disabled the return key, sending it via BTT will not work. That's why @frank1 recommended to use the paste text action (just add a new line to the textbox)

1 Like

do you do this with this action?

Oh, right !
So, I did it, now when double pressing RETURN it's adding a new line in my text (what's app/ telegram), instead of sending the message. I'm getting a bit lost on a way to act it properly

By the way, thank you so much for your help

Not sure I understand. It doesn't do what you want? I don't have these apps and can't test.

Sorry for the very late reply. I wanted at first to thank you all, espcially @Frank1 and @Andreas_Hegenberg for the comments and help, it greatly helped to check some options here.

Does anybody know if it's technically possible to deactivate the ENTER key enterely unless nothing has been typed on the keyboard for the last past 0.5 sec for example?