a Reminders.app script

Another quick script, to get my top reminders in front of me. :date::+1:

(iTunes script; fuzzy clock script)

Obviously everyone has different ways of managing todos, generally I only have the most important things to act upon in the reminders app. As the touchbar can only accommodate two lines, if you have more than a few dozen todos especially across multiple lists, you may want to specify the name of a list, and only put the important todos in that one list. I also haven't yet added logic to select the next scheduled todo by time, so if you've many scheduled at different times during the day this won't be very helpful.

Recommended settings: font-size 12, black background; execute every 100 secs. I also use slightly pink text colour to differentiate and attract attention from other text down there. Polling the Reminders app seems to be very slow, so I've set it to only update every 30 mins, the disadvantage of which is naturally that once completed a todo won't disappear from your touchbar for a while. You could «set_number_variable "reminderCheck" to 0» somehow though. Also I delete my todos when completed to avoid a bloated DB. The emoji symbols don't line up terribly well, but you can always change them.

-- ▫️ unscheduled; 🔸 due today; 🔺 overdue (yesterday or older)
-- displays two reminders from all lists and preferring the highest priority; the first line prefers scheduled reminders (for today, before overdue ones) if any; the second line shows unscheduled reminders; scheduled reminders only check day (so you'll see the reminder in the morning even if scheduled for later); if multiple reminders match the one displayed is random as the reminders app does not provide its display order

set today to current date

tell application "BetterTouchTool"
	if time of today is less than (get_number_variable "reminderCheck") then return
	local time
	set time to (time of today) + 1800 -- next check in 30 mins
	if time is greater than 86400 then set time to time - 86400 -- next check tomorrow 
	set_number_variable "reminderCheck" to time
end tell

set hours of today to 23
set minutes of today to 59

set width to 36
set item1 to {rank:11, name:""}
set item2 to {rank:11, name:""}
set item3 to {rank:11, name:""}

tell application "Reminders"
	-- iterating across all lists and reminders is extremely slow so we collect the incomplete ones in a single query then iterate which is significantly faster and not too expensive (except for returning every property) as there shouldn't be many incomplete
	set theReminders to properties of every reminder whose completed is false -- every reminder of list "name" whose completed is false
end tell

using terms from application "Reminders"
	local rank
	repeat with theReminder in theReminders
		tell theReminder
			set rank to priority
			if rank is 0 then set rank to 10 -- heaven knows why the default value for an unset priority is a lower integer than high priority which is 1, and low is 9
			if due date is not missing value then
				if due date is less than today then
					if rank of item1 is 11 or day of due of item1 is not day of today or rank is less than rank of item1 then -- TODO: prefer the earliest occurring from today
						set item1 to {rank:rank, name:name, due:due date}
					end if
				end if
			else if rank of item1 is not 11 then
				if rank is less than rank of item2 then
					set item2 to {rank:rank, name:name}
				end if
			else if rank is less than rank of item2 then
				set item3 to item2
				set item2 to {rank:rank, name:name}
			else if rank is less than rank of item3 then
				set item3 to {rank:rank, name:name}
			end if
		end tell
	end repeat
end using terms from

if length of name of item1 is greater than width then set name of item1 to text items 1 through width of name of item1 & "…"
if length of name of item2 is greater than width then set name of item2 to text items 1 through width of name of item2 & "…"
if length of name of item3 is greater than width then set name of item3 to text items 1 through width of name of item3 & "…"
set alert to {}
if rank of item1 is not 11 then
	set hours of due of item1 to 23
	set minutes of due of item1 to 59
	if due of item1 is less than today then
		-- overdue
		copy "🔺 " to end of alert
	else
		copy "🔸 " to end of alert
	end if
	copy name of item1 to end of alert
	copy "
" to end of alert
	if rank of item2 is not 11 then
		copy "▫️ " to end of alert
		copy name of item2 to end of alert
	end if
else if rank of item2 is not 11 then
	copy name of item2 to end of alert
	copy "
" to end of alert
	if rank of item3 is not 11 then
		copy name of item3 to end of alert
	end if
end if
return alert as string

Wow, does this not use any helper apps? e.g. no extra downloads and just this script?

Also, i'm pretty sure the community would love some screenshots! ⌘⇧6 to screenshot the Touch Bar.

Duly added! Not terribly exciting though :-p Yes it's standalone. Arguably it needs to display a HUD with a list of todos and then to update itself when any are checked off. But it serves its basic purpose for now. But before I even think about that I've the rest of the touchbar to fill :wink:

2 Likes

Nice one!
Did you find any possibility to get also the time of the reminder?
I'm failing badly to do this, wether it's with Apple Script or iCallBuddy :frowning: