3.170 hides BTT touch bar widget aggressively

I've tried the latest alpha as well as restarting - neither had an effect on this bug.

Describe the bug
Since updating to 3.170 (from 3.148), the BTT touch bar is always getting hidden. As I switch back and forth between apps, any app that I have a custom touch bar for starts showing its own touch bar (e.g. Chrome) or no touch bar at all (e.g. Slack). I have to press the BTT icon to get my custom touch bar back and as I continue to work it again hide and the process repeats.

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):
Touch Bar

Device information:

• Type of Mac: MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
  • macOS version: macOS Mojave v 10.14.6
  • BetterTouchTool version: 3.170 & 3.171

The problem continues in 3.182 as well - I can trigger the problem reliably by activating the screen saver - this seems to always kill the BTT toolbar while closing the lid only sometimes kills it.

the screensaver disables the app touch bars, that’s normal. However the BTT bar should come back afterwards unless some app specific overrides are active.

Doesn’t it come back on your system? Do you have any touch bar visibility overrides defined for specific apps?

In 3.182 if I activate the screen saver, the BTT touch bar goes away as described. After unlocking and returning to an application, my custom touch bar is hidden and I must press the BTT button to show the custom bar again.

This can also be reproduced by switching to an app where I haven't configured a custom touch bar. E.g. I have one for Slack, but not for the BTT configuration app. So as I cmd-tab between Slack and BTT - it shows in Slack, then nothing in BTT, then returning to Slack there is nothing and the BTT button must be tapped again.

All of my configurations are "No special handling" for visibility. I also have set

• show macOS ctrl strip
  • show btt icon in control strip
  • hide global actions if app specific actions are cfg in BTT
  • Hide BTT touch bar if nothing to show

This setup and all the steps to reproduce work fine in 3.148

Ah I see, I think the un-hide doesn't work if no global actions are defined & "hide btt touch bar if nothing to show" is active.

For now you can override the app specific Touch Bar visibility overrides for the apps where you have Touch Bar buttons configured. I'm looking into this.

I added a workaround in 3.184 alpha - however I'm not yet sure whether it has any side effects.

This version will be online in about 10 minutes.

Been using the latest alpha since yesterday and so far the issue seems to be resolved. Thanks!