"You're up to date" update window breaks trackpad and other BTT features if it loses focus

Describe the bug

1. BTT menu icon -> Check for alpha updates
  2. "You're up to date" window appears. Do not click OK. Instead click on some other window - maybe you got distracted and changed space, or clicked on a window on another monitor just after the BTT window appeared.
  3. Now that that window is no longer focused, BTT is partially broken:
    a. All trackpad gestures stop working (eg three finger swipe left/right/up/down), and trying to execute one will lock out the trackpad, which then stops responding to further inputs and no longer records any haptic feedback (initially making me think BTT had crashed entirely)
    b. Some actions are broken, eg a Custom Menu New doesn't display when its keyboard hotkey is pressed, the new window switcher does display but then doesn't cause a window switch and doesn't disappear when modifier keys are no longer pressed.

When I got into this state I had to reach over to a mouse I also have plugged in, so I could find a way to re-focus on the "you're up to date" window and click its OK button. Even then it didn't respond promptly, I had to click about 10 times before it registered the clicks.

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):

Trackpad is worst affected, but other actions are impacted as well.

Device information:

• Type of Mac: Hackintosh MacPro 7,1
  • macOS version: 13.2.1
  • BetterTouchTool version: 4.053 (2272)

Additional information (e.g. StackTraces, related issues, screenshots, workarounds, etc.):

unfortunately this is due to some macOS specifics for modal alert windows. I could workaround it, but then I'd need to modify the auto-updater framework BTT uses. I think it's not worth it, you are the first one to report this in > 10 years, although it has been there from the beginning :smiley:

Thanks for the details. I'm really surprised to hear this issue has been around for so long undetected as I triggered it twice yesterday, and only reported it the second time when I figured out exactly what had happened. Admittedly I don't manually check for updates that often, but it's still surprising.

I've since found that the issue can occur much more easily than I first reported It's not even necessary to deliberately ignore the "you're up to date" window, because sometimes it's not visible.

Here's a scenario that I experienced today:

1. Have the BTT config window open on screen, because you're doing something in it.
  2. Bring up a window from another app on the same monitor, covering the BTT config window.
  3. Some time later, click on the BTT menu bar icon and check for updates.
  4. The "You're up to date" window now appears, but is not visible. It's on top of the BTT config window, but behind the window you're actually looking at. This can easily lead the user to thinking that maybe the check for update failed, or that there was no update so no message (if they're not familiar with what should happen.)
  5. Now do any trackpad gesture: the gesture is ignored and the trackpad stops responding. You can't even left click with the trackpad at this point, and I had to use a mouse instead,

If the bug is going to persist then could it at least be guaranteed that the "you're up to date" window is always shown on top of all other windows?

PS. Is it the case that only the "you're up to date" is modal, but the other update-related windows are not? Because the issue doesn't occur with the windows that appear when an update is found. Many times in the past I've found those windows buried under other windows, a long time after they first appeared, without any problems occurring.

yep, only alerts like the "you are up to date" can cause this (and they don't always do, it depends on various macOS and BTT settings as far as I remember)