Work in progress and alpha features

Awesome - will try in a minute and report back.

I think it might have been caused by the icloud sync, the database seems to still contain the data for multiple presets even though only one is loaded. Thus causing issues with overlapping UUIDs and the like.

Shoot, I was worried about that. Okay, I've been able to use the previous-version backups to revert to a database from earlier today, before I turned on iCloud Sync on my other device. I've also turned off iCloud syncing on both my machines.

Is there a safe way to enable iCloud Sync? Or should I just avoid it? Happy to help test this feature, because I would absolutely love to keep my two machines in sync and be able to develop more easily from either one.

I‘ll need to figure out what caused this. Possibly the debug info you sent will help me. Making the icloud sync more reliable is high up on my todo list (will probably get rid of dropbox sync though)

1 Like

What changes were introduced in 3.220? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,
I've recently been trying to integrate a pomodoro timer into the TouchBar so it works with golden chaos. I found this amazing very light-weight timer; GitHub - ivoronin/TomatoBar: 🍅 World's neatest Pomodoro timer for macOS menu bar
Though so far have had little success getting both utilities running simultaneously. I think it would be an amazing addition to goldenchaos.

Separately I found that @fidgetspinner created an amazing simple timer which should work amazing, though it freezes after 1minute and 30seconds.

Thus making it very difficult to use, though the widget looks amazing with the golden chaos system.

Nice idea to allow to have access to all NSworkspace notification this is really cool.

v3.226 alpha:

• should fix a issue where sometimes a long press also triggered a normal tap on Touch Bar
  • added more options to "Today Calendar Widget"
  • added support for custom predefined action plugins in Swift or Objective-c, will add more documentation soon. An example plugin was added to https://github.com/folivoraAI/BetterTouchToolPlugins
  • clipboard manager does preview more filetypes like PDF
  • clipboard manager got an extra reset button that keeps the favorites
  • global Touch Bar gestures should work much better
  • fixed issue where Touch Bar button repeat got "stuck"
  • fixed potential crash when editing keyboard shortcuts in BTT in Catalina
  • improved "specific app did activate/launch/deactivate/terminate" triggers
1 Like

Next Event / Reminders Widget is now broken. No event details, just shows date. Looks like when any change is made to your default "Display next event with this format:" all date is missing except a date.

Could you copy / paste your config? It seems to work fine here, but probably some specific combination of settings causes the issue

What config did you want to see? I added a new button widget with your defaults, looked ok until I remove any of the fields. I have icalbudy installed still. Also my calendar name is three words “black Hawks Schedule “

I just meant the json config for the widget that you get when pressing cmd+c while it is selected.

I think I was at least partially able to reproduce the issue - possibly it is fixed in the new alpha 3.228

Sent/messaged two files along with some more bugs related to date/time custom format.

3.236 alpha

• you can now drag stuff onto the BTT dock or menubar icon to copy it to the clipboard (and make it available in the BTT clipboard manager)
  • This is the first release that includes a new (additional) preset format, which is the first step to make some really cool things I have planned possible :slight_smile: The new preset format is basically a zip file (but renamed to .bttcompressedpresetbundle ), which contains the standard preset json and additionally all files that belong to the preset and are located in ~/Library/Application Support/BetterTouchTool/PresetBundles/

This will help make many things easier, e.g. it allows you to integrate some binaries into presets (for example to call iCalBuddy or tools like that) and it also allows to add pictures, css etc. for the Floating HTML View.

The folder that belongs to a preset can be opened by clicking the little folder icon in the preset selection popup.

In Apple Scripts and the like you can now use BTT_PRESET_PATH as placeholder, which will always reference the preset data folder.

In Shell Scripts you can also use either BTT_PRESET_PATH or BTT_PRESET_PATH_ESCAPED

In the Web View you can access resources located in the preset folder via presetfile:// urls

For things like "Launch Application / Script / File ...", BTT will automatically handle the import / export specifics when a file from the preset data folder has been assigned to it.

In general you can also always use the full absolute path to a file (the one you get when right-clicking an item in Finder, holding option and selecting "copy as path name". In this case BTT will replace the path when exporting the preset.

Attached is an example preset which adds a keyboard shortcut with a floating webview that shows a image loaded from such a file.
PresetBundleTest.bttcompressedpresetbundle (6.3 KB)

3 Likes

v. 3.237

Just noticed none of my smart lights were controllable from the touchbar. All running Execute Shell Script / Task from a button action. Changed them to Execute Terminal Command Async non-blocking and they once again work.

Also had a few times since these updates today, where I made a change in the TouchBar Configuration window, didn't hit save, click in the main window (auto-saves normally) and the button disappeared from the configuration view, but still on the touchbar. I then selected another group/application from the left column and everything was blank and every App/Group/Menu. Restarted BTT and everything was back to normal. Ill try to see what it takes to reproduce this.

1 Like

I understand blocking/non-blocking, but could you provide a simple/little synopsis of what the command differences are between your Async Non-Blocking and Synchronous Blocking options as it pertains to BTT? Is one preferred over the other in BTT or is it simply the command or multiple commands being used?

The changes you recently made killed all my previous Shell Script widgets, and had to set them as your "new" terminal command widgets.

Thats probably a bug in the alphas then - there should not have been any breaking changes. I’ll have a look. Could you maybe post an example of a script that stopped working?

In general: use async if you don‘t (immediately) need the result of the script, use sync if you need the result. The async ones will basically be put on a queue an be processed as soon as possible but not „immediately“.

Simple scripts that stopped working (set as action on a button touch). Works when testing "Run Script Now" button, but not from touchbar button.

My "Key" has been truncated for security, sorry.

curl --silent --output POST https://maker.ifttt.com/trigger/bar_light/with/key/D5ujvF

1 Like

will fix later today!

Should be fixed in 3.240 (online in ~5 min)! I have also added a fix for the issue that caused the button text to change even if the assigned shell script action did return nothing / an empty string. In that case it doesn't update now.