Window snapping for Google Chrome freezes

Describe the bug
When I use windows snapping for windows of Google Chrome, the window freezes for about 5 seconds before the window is moved or resized. It happens only when snapping Google Chrome windows. It does not happen with other applications' windows.
I observed this issue with a previous version of the latest stable 3.870, stable 3.870, and alpha 3.873.

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):
I observe this issue with both of these sets of input devices

• MacBook keyboard + trackpad
  • External keyboard + normal mouse

Device information:

• Type of Mac: Macbook Pro 2021 M1 Pro model (tested with both 14-inch and 16-inch models)
  • macOS version: 12.5 and 12.6
  • BetterTouchTool version: (please post the exact version - not just "the latest one") 3.870 (stable) and
    3.873 (alpha)

Additional information (e.g. StackTraces, related issues, screenshots, workarounds, etc.):
Screen recording
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10VeBJ4nHFAYU6HJ_C2TpFzCUJb0rqgI2/view?usp=sharing

do you run the grammarly app?

Yes. And turning off the Grammarly app solved the issue. Thank you!

Is the Grammarly app not working with BTT and Chrome very well? I've been using all of these three apps for a long time. And I started seeing this issue a few days ago. All of them are must-have apps for me, so I'm wondering if there is a way to solve it.

I think there must have been some change to Chrome or to Grammarly very recently as I have only had one similar report a few days ago. (The old problems with Grammarly have been solved a long time ago).

However this time it looks like either Chrome or Grammarly need to fix this, it's currently out of BetterTouchTool's control ;-(

1 Like

Ah, so this is what I am experiencing. I thought it was because I was using dual monitors :laughing:. I had just updated to the newest MacOS version and got a new display for my home setup, went to snap Chrome and it happened. I had assumed it was because the multi monitor setup, but I do distinctively remember having to do that workaround for grammarly previously

I'm experiencing the same issue and have already raised a ticket to Grammarly support. It's happening on both Chrome and Brave, so I suspect something wrong with the combination of the chromium-based browsers with the Grammarly app. I hope it gets resolved soon.

1 Like

I think, most likely this needs to be fixed in Chrome or worst case by Apple.

More details:
There is an obscure internal macOS setting that can be enabled per app (it's called AXEnhancedUserInterface ). On Chromium based apps, this enables screen readers etc. to access a website's content elements. Unfortunately macOS has a long standing bug (or maybe it's intended, I don't know), that breaks window snapping when this is enabled.

So there is a conflict: Grammarly enables the AXEnhancedUserInterface because they want to access the website content. However if it's enabled no window manager can snap windows anymore. The workaround which most window snapping tools are using, is to disable AXEnhancedUserInterface before snapping, and reenable it afterwards if it was enabled before. So far this has worked well. Unfortunately there must have been some change recently - I don't know whether it's in Chromium or in macOS, which causes lag when enabling or disabling AXEnhancedUserInterface.

I have created an issue here: 1364487 - macOS: Toggling AXEnhancedUserInterface started to cause freezes / lags - chromium (if possible star this issue, or add a comment if you have more details)

3 Likes

Thank you - looks like I have a choice to make.
Much appreciated.

I want to add that Rectangle is way more performant on my system with both chrome as well as other applications

Rectangle encounters the exact same issue Repositionning and resizing windows is super slow for Chrome · Issue #912 · rxhanson/Rectangle (github.com)

But it's currently being adressed by the Chromium team and should be fixed soon!

1 Like

I hope this issue will get resolved soon!

I think the issues are fixed in the latest Chrome Canary version (Version 110.0.5433.0 (Official Build) canary (arm64)
), so they should become available in the stable build soon.

1 Like

@Andreas_Hegenberg Thank you for the update!