Using two trackpads causes the tap action to be executed many times after tapping only once

Describe the bug
When a finger is rested on one trackpad and a single tap gesture is performed on another (external) trackpad, then the corresponding action is executed many times.

More detail: I use a separate Magic Trackpad instead of the inbuilt MacBook trackpad most of the time. Sometimes, I accidentally rest a part of my thumb on the MBP trackpad while using the Magic trackpad. This causes no issues in other apps, but it does seem to confuse BTT. The problem is as follows: I have a 3 finger tap gesture configured to perform a middle click. It works perfectly fine on either trackpad, but if I have my thumb on the MBP trackpad and perform the 3 finger tap gesture on the Magic Trackpad, this causes the middle click action to be executed repeatedly (e.g. opening 4-10 copies of a website).

Note that this is distinctly an issue with BetterTouchTool: if I rest my thumb on the trackpad and do a CMD+click, the click is only registered once, but if I do a 3 finger tap which BTT maps to CMD+click, then it is executed multiple times.

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):
Magic Trackpad, when used in conjunction with MBP trackpad

Screenshots

Captured with the side of my thumb resting on the corner of the MBP trackpad, and links being clicked with the 3 finger tap gesture on the Magic Trackpad.

Device information:

• Type of Mac: MacBook Pro 2021 (Apple M1)
  • macOS version: Monterey 12.0.1
  • BetterTouchTool version: 3.624

Still happens on version 3.704. I'd appreciate any ideas if this can be fixed on my side (I tried adjusting the settings but could not find a way to fix it).