Touchbar Layouts (with Modifier Keys)

Heya,

So here's how I've set things up:

Nothing pressed: My DEFAULT touchbar. It shows batery, date, time, outside temperature and desktop spaces.
CMD: Brings up APP SPECIFIC touchbar
OPT: Brings up INTERFACE CONFIG such as Keyboard Brightness, Brightness Slider, Volume Slider, Mute, and media commands
CTRL: Brings up MACHINE CONFIGURATION airplane mode, toggle voice commands, toggle GPU, Locks Scree, etc.
FN: The default F Key layout

Anyway, currently this is all done manually of course. What I'd like is to be able to group these into a specific modifier key, for ease of configuration if not anything else.

I'm not a coder but I would venture a guess that this would also make layout switching more responsive.

Thank you.

Hey @Andreas_Hegenberg,

It's been a long time since I posted this. Would you mind taking a look?

Let me know if you need further clarification as to my intent.

Thank you!

The new activation groups will probably soon allow this! (Still testing a few edge cases)

1 Like

Oh, awesome!! Thanks for responding!

Blockquote
Nothing pressed : My DEFAULT touchbar. It shows batery, date, time, outside temperature and desktop spaces.
CMD : Brings up APP SPECIFIC touchbar
OPT : Brings up INTERFACE CONFIG such as Keyboard Brightness, Brightness Slider, Volume Slider, Mute, and media commands
CTRL : Brings up MACHINE CONFIGURATION airplane mode, toggle voice commands, toggle GPU, Locks Scree, etc.
FN : The default F Key layout

Hey @Andreas_Hegenberg, so now conditional activation groups are out, but I can't figure out how to configure it for this use.

Could you please give me a few hints? :slight_smile:

Sorry, unfortunately modifier support didn't make it into the conditional activation groups for performance reasons.

However if you just like to group your existing triggers, you can create conditional activation groups that always match (e.g. appName is not "dalksdjaklsdjaskljd") and move your triggers there.

The new UI will soon make editing multiple triggers much easier.

Ah! OK. Thanks for responding Andreas.

I'll just keep waiting for the new UI then.

By the way, I dunno how you're looking to implement that functionality, but here's an idea:

Invisible button groups whose contents appear when pressing the specified modifiers.

Invisible button groups whose contents appear when pressing the specified modifiers.

I don't know if that would work for your setup but here's what I've done:

1. create TB named group with the contents you want and make it inactive/invisible
  2. under "Key sequences/Typed words" add a trigger for the modifier key DOWN action of your choosing. (press the key, click on stop recording, release the key)
  3. add a "Open named group" action to the trigger you just created
  4. create a conditional activation group that matches when said named group is open
  5. in the conditional activation group add a "Key sequence/Typed words" trigger that matches the key UP of the same modifier key specified under 2. (click stop recording, press the key, click start recording, release the key, click stop recording)
  6. Add a "close currently open TB group" action to the newly created trigger

With this the named group you choose/create in 1 will activate/open when the modifier key is pressed and close when the same modifier is released.

EDIT: not sure if the conditional activation group is necessary, but doesn't hurt in any case. Will have to think about it.