Stopping screensaver

Been trying to track this down and finally found culprit.
Been happening since sometime in fall so across many versions including latest. Had not been tweaking config in a long time when started happening.

BTT randomly cancels screensaver. No set frequency, sometimes doesn't, thought it was hardware related for a long time.
Somehow seems to happen even when app isn't active (BTTRelaunch seems to refuse to go away?), one thing that stops it is disabling BTT Accessibility permissions... hence being sure BTT is the culprit.

Related bugs making investigation annoying is I need to reboot both to re-enable BTT and to disable (regardless of launch state both keyboard and mouse input completely stop working when permissions are taken away - also very nasty bug!)

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):
Must be trackpad related, looked for ghost key presses with Karabiner events viewer and nothing showed up.

Device information:

• Type of Mac: MBP 13,3
  • macOS version: 10.14.6
  • BetterTouchTool version: (please post the exact version - not just "the latest one") 3.301

Additional information (e.g. StackTraces, related issues, screenshots, workarounds, etc.):
I'm guessing you'll need my config to properly investigate? Please tell what I can provide.

Mh if BTT is quit (no BetterTouchTool process), then it doesn't have any effect on your system, regardless of the Accessibility option. There are various actions in BTT that could cancel the screen saver, especially when running Apple Scripts or stuff like this - however I don't think there is a way to figure out what exactly did cancel the screen saver ;-(

The related bug you mention is unfortunately a macOS issue, I hope Apple will fix it at some point.

Yeah that's what I thought seemed so weird at first, but still made sense given loss of control when taking away permissions even if BTT isn't running. Seems to imply it does do something even then, or?
Could it be that this bug is also in macOS, but triggered by BTT? Struggle to explain it otherwise when behavior consistently has followed BTT permissions.

Isn't accessibility stuff different from passive scripts (get system volume etc) anyhow?
I'll tear down my config a bit and try to isolate further.

Accessibility permissions only affect the permissions of a running app - for closed apps it's just a passive entry in the database.

If it happens again it would be good if you'd go to the macOS console app and copy the latest logs - if you send them to me (andreas@folivora.ai) I can check whether I see anything

Yeah nevermind, somehow just happened completely without BTT...
Apologies! Has been entirely stable with it disabled until now.

Logs are sadly no help (nothing at top of chunk when saver exit starts) but noticing that something called studentd is constantly polling, specifically, screensaver state and running BLE proximity scans despite not being configured or in use isn't very reassuring... might be less a case of some buggy app and more malice.

Sorry for the bother!

I once had a user with similar issues due to a defective trackpad which caused phantom touches. Possibly try to open the Trackpad Liveview in BTT (Main Menu => View => Live View) to check if there is anything suspicious

Yeah was dead set on hardware as first but a new account didn't seem to exhibit it. Then again if it's back now after loads of time, who knows... I'll def try Live Vew + screen record :slight_smile: though coding up a logging app might well take less time than going through that footage haha...

Hacking paranoia is silly but dunno how else opendirectoryd would go nuts and then once I started looking, randomly have its logs wiped. All options on the table haha, thanks for the help!

I seem to remember the old liveview contained a shoutout to someone for the (open source?) code it was based on, remember who that was?