"Snap Areas" disappears

Describe the bug

Almost every week all the "Snap Areas" disappears and I have to create them all again.

How can I stop that from happening?

Is there a way to back them up so I can load them if they disappear?

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):

It hase nothing to do with any input devise.

Screenshots
If applicable, add screenshots to help explain your problem. (You can just paste or drag them here)
There is nothing to show :slight_smile:

Device information:

• Type of Mac: MacBook Pro 16"
  • macOS version: 10.15.7 (19H2)
  • BetterTouchTool version: 1.9.3
  • External monitor: Dell UltraSharp U4919DW

Additional information (e.g. StackTraces, related issues, screenshots, workarounds, etc.):

? - any help here?

Again all snap areas is gone this morning and I have to set them all up again :frowning:

are you using the same display & resolution? (the small areas are specific to a display & resolution)

How is your display connected to your Mac?

Hi,

Im using Dell UltraSharp U4919DW at home and at work with the same resolution.

It's connected via USB-C.

Weird, I wonder whether this could cause the issue (they would still count as two separate displays in BTT/BST but at least they should not delete your Snap Areas)

Could you send the contents of this folder to andreas@folivora.ai?
~/Library/Application Support/BetterSnapTool
(Go there via Finder => Go => Go to Folder, make sure to include the ~)

Did you get my mail? :slight_smile:

Yes, I'll look into it soon.

This morning they are gone again :frowning:

Again, this morning I have to set it all up again.
Do you have a fix?

sorry I won’t be able to look into this in detail until the end of this week.

Could you describe what changes happen overnight to your setup that could influence this? (e.g. are you switching displays / locations when this happens)

It could also be a file permission/database error error - in that case it might be worth a try to delete the ~/Library/Application Support/BetterSnapTool folder

I also work with a U4919DW, but unfortunately only one of them, which might make it harder to reproduce.

Hi,

I replyed the email but can see your sending from noreply@community.folivora.ai - so I can not email my folder.

Here is my mail:

1. Deleted folder: ~/Library/Application Support/BetterSnapTool

2. Created all areas again

3. Lets see what is going to happen tomorrow morning :slight_smile:

4. Here is my new folder attached. Is it any help to get the folder when I'm at home?

You kan download the folder here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z-UTQJQb6H1ijclFLjmd-IBTGY9FhkyW/view?usp=sharing

I just do this.

1. Unplug my MacBook Pro from my Dell
  2. Go Home
  3. Plug in my MacBook Pro to my Dell at home
  4. Next morning I unplug my MacBook Pro and go to Work.
  5. Plug in my MacBook pro to my Dell at work
  6. GOTO 1

Most days I have to setup my snap areas when I go to work.
But not this morning.
Most days my snap areas only work at the Dell at work - not at home. 100% the same Dell screen.

:slight_smile:

Any news?

Any news?

I started this morning setting up the snap area again.

"Unfortunately" the attached file from your BetterSnapTool folder looks fine (it contains one monitor and 3 snap areas).

Could you post the folder again now? So I could compare what has changed (I assume BST doesn't recognize the display anymore)

In the file posted above the display is described as

<object type="BSTCDISPLAY" id="z102">
        <attribute name="vendor" type="int32">4268</attribute>
        <attribute name="serialnumber" type="string">808930892</attribute>
        <attribute name="screensize" type="string">{1204.1481300636574, 338.66666158040368}</attribute>
        <attribute name="screenframe" type="string">{{0, 0}, {5120, 1440}}</attribute>
        <attribute name="resolution" type="string">{5120, 1440}</attribute>
        <attribute name="model" type="int32">41231</attribute>
        <attribute name="maindisplay" type="int32">1</attribute>
        <attribute name="displayid" type="int32">724045203</attribute>
        <attribute name="builtin" type="bool">0</attribute>
        <attribute name="uniqueidentifier" type="string">E86248F1-9969-46E9-B397-D3706E9B5291</attribute>
        <relationship name="displayeddragpoints" type="0/0" destination="BSTDRAGPOINT" idrefs="z104 z105 z103"></relationship>
        <relationship name="snappeddragpoints" type="0/0" destination="BSTDRAGPOINT" idrefs="z104 z105 z103"></relationship>
    </object>

Hi ...

Here you can download my folder from today where all areas are gone.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NMN3yFsdKy7WbEsQcZQ5FftV6CCVfnDc/view?usp=sharing

I am also having this issue. Did you find a solution @lauge?

I have just turned sync off as I know it's an experimental feature so wondering if it could be something to do with that?

Nob - Im not using the program anymore due to this problem.

I bought bettertouchtool to cover the behavior of GTile in Gnome when I moved over to Mac. Having the same snap areas on all monitors would be an easy fix for this issue, which is seemingly removing my snap areas when the computer goes to sleep and wakes back up.

Hi,
I have the same issue -- the custom snap areas disappeared.
However, if I restart BetterSnapTool, the custom snap areas appear correctly.
It happens when my mac gets into sleep mode. After I woke it up, the custom snap areas disappeared.
I am using a type-C cable connecting DELL P3421W monitor.

I hope this will give you a hint about the bug.

Thanks a lot. This app is the best snap tool I have ever used.

Roger
Taipei, Taiwan