Settings panel completely inaccesable

Describe the bug
Disabling both Show Menubar Icon and Show Dock Icon (in standard settings > user interface) makes the settings window inaccessible (as in it doesn't open at all). BTT continues to work, gestures etc. are fine and BTT is running in activity monitor, but no settings of any kind can be changed, including fixing this silly mistake.

Both app and system restarts were tested. To fix it I had to uninstall BTT entirely (including settings) and reinstall fresh.

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):
Happened on Macbook Pro, all inputs (gestures, keybinds etc) work fine, but the settings window is either unable to be opened or is opened hidden.

Screenshots
Exact settings:

Both unchecked = no visible settings panel.

Device information:

• Type of Mac: Macbook Pro
  • macOS version: 10.15.7
  • BetterTouchTool version: 3.540

Perhaps a warning of what will happen if both are disabled, or a toggle between the two to avoid the problem entirely would help?

If you disable both you can still access the preferences by starting BTT again / double-clicking it's app icon.

There was a bug that prevented this from working in one of the previous versions (which only was online for a few hours, so maybe you were unlucky and downloaded it during that timeframe)

Heh, well that would be my luck to download one during that time. You're right, I just tested it again right now and it worked as you said, before that didn't open it. Bug squashed now though so thank you.

BTW, also thank you for making BTT, it's one app I always install right away, macs just feel wrong without it.

1 Like