script widgets not always refreshing correctly

Describe the bug
I have a "master" script widget and with two or three "slave" script widgets. The master widget checks on a few things and writes information into BTT variables, which the slave widgets then read to update their contents.

If I set the slave widgets to never run the script themselves, but only run it when the master widget issues a refresh_widget on them, then they do not update correctly (if I run the script from the configuration window, then it returns the correct string).

If I set the slave widgets to a, say, 5-second run schedule, then they update correctly. I'd rather not do this, as I'm trying to cut down on "polling" scripts. The reason I do it this way is so that I can have a single script that runs to a schedule and all other scripts are run only when needed.

Conclusion: It would appear that refresh_widget is not running the associated script.

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):
Touch bar

Screenshots
n/a

Device information:

• Type of Mac: MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)
  • macOS version: 10.14.2 (18C54)
  • BetterTouchTool version: 2.702

Additional information (e.g. StackTraces, related issues, screenshots, workarounds, etc.):
n/a

Note: Before bug reporting, please make sure you have the latest version of BetterTouchTool and that you have already tried to restart your system :-). If you encounter a crash, please attach a crash log from the macOS Console.app from the "User Diagnostic Reports" section.