Preferences Preset doesn't recall settings properly

Bug description:

I had to reinstall Better Touch Tool, because with a new alpha update (2.551) my Global custom Touchbar stopped working (It didn't show anything anymore...) The Main issue is: I exported a preset but settings didn't recall properly: It forgot the:

• free space after button value
  • Icon width and Icon height values
  • Setting of the: Icon only, no text

As I have all my buttons configured it was a lot of work to put every setting back. It also would help if I can change values while using the TAB key so it would cycle through ALL the settings in that menu instead of just Free Space after button / Icon Width / Extra padding / Icon Height / Repeat rate / Delay until / Long Press.

Device information:

• Type of Mac: Macbook Pro 2016 15"
  • macOS version: 10.13.6
  • BetterTouchTool version: 2.551 (Global touch bar setting didn't work properly) and 2.536 (Incorrect preset recall)

that's expected because 2.55x completely changes the data model, so downgrading won't be possible. However BetterTouchTool keeps various backups that you can restore in such a case:

https://docs.bettertouchtool.net/docs/restoring_automatic_backups.html

Btw. I have not had any reports about non working Touch Bar, maybe it was just hidden? (try the toggle BetterTouchTool Touchbar predefined action)

But is "legacy" format still going to be supported? Could you elaborate what are the changes in the data model? (or perhaps you could create some blog post about the differences perhaps) (@Andreas_Hegenberg)

ah sorry, I think I just assumed @childrenof9 just downgraded without reimporting the data from an actual preset export. It's just the internal data structure that has changed, it is not exposed anywhere so you don't need to worry about it.

However it's possible that the JSON exporter in the current alpha still has some bugs - I haven't run my tests on that yet :slight_smile: If there are any issues that prevent importing in previous versions, they should be fixed before the final release.

//edit: ah it actually might be possible that the export format slightly changed because I only ensure upwards compatibility (so presets exported with an older version can be imported in newer versions, but not necessarily the other way around). Still for your JavaScript wrapper there shouldn't be any changes necessary!
I think some values might now be correctly be exported as numbers that have previously been exported as strings. This will cause issues when importing into previous versions.

1 Like

Hi Andreas,

I looked in advanced configuration and in general touch bar settings. I tried some things and couldn't get my global touchbar to show; it just happened with the update; I didn't change anything. The app specific touchbars worked though!

Where is that BetterTouchTool Touchbar predefined action?

Best, Robin

I made an export of the preset with the newer version indeed. When I used that in the older version I got these recal issues.

i have the same issue on the same version on the same machine, but 2 different user accounts. I updated a preset, exported it, imported it to the other user account. The Advanced Configuration settings are not honored. They did not export. I can change them, but they do not actually take effect.