New BetterTouchTool UI Progress

For the record what I said definitely applies only to the pop-out window. In the sidebar the nub is the right thing to do for sure! Nifty that it remembers the height you set.

1 Like

I'll add that pop-out thingy later today and will try to get the resizing behavior right;-)

2 Likes

Quick Mockup

But get that popout window working first. This one may be hard to get right, and probably has some technical difficulties too.
Sorry for bugging you so much @Andreas_Hegenberg!

Yep that mockup kind of illustrates why that would be weird:
what happens if you drag it to the right? Will the window become bigger? Will the sidebar get bigger but the table view smaller? I think this would be weird in all cases :slight_smile:

Sidebar expands to the right.. ?

Script result copies the width of the editor

Exactly, but that would increase the window width, and this would be non-standard behavior as that should only happen when actually dragging the window edges.

This would e.g. be annoying if you just try to increase the height, but always result in a slightly changed window width.

Yeah as I mentioned you might encounter some technical difficulties with that.

Get that popout window first, this one seems to work well in theory but is probably hard for you to implement. This probably wouldn't be needed altogether if that popout editor works well on second thought XD

The issue there is that you can’t drag the text field behind the bounds of the window - as in, you can’t make the window itself resize - and if you can, you shouldn’t, because literally no app does that and it would be very strange. So dragging to the right would cause the sidebar to expand... to the left.

If you want to see more reasons not to use a corner grabber, just check out text fields in Safari. Resizing text fields with these causes some seriously wacko behavior, haha.

Yeeaah~ seems legitimate. Personally I see it working well if well implemented but we probably won't need it if the popout editor is great.

It was a reply to:

Wait I think I read it out of context ahaha :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Haha, yeah I was talking about the window not the sidebar :smile: no worries!!

1 Like

Just what I'm doing right now...

(magic mouse and keyboard are still being refined. Magic mouse is literally a cut and paste at the moment.)

2 Likes

That looks REALLY amazing!!

1 Like

Yeah, visual design is my background i guess aha~

Well here's where I'm leaving it tonight (and probably over the weekend too)

As you can see, I realised that tilting them all sideways and giving them some perspective allowed the icons to squeeze into the awkward, long and small space pretty well. The perspective gets rid of lots of height while sitting them lengthwise allows for consistency across all devices. Later I plan to photoshoot a magic mouse and MX 2S at the same angle to throw in too (as i can't possibly make all their curves in PS!!).

I'm pretty happy with most of it so far. Some things need a bit more refinement e.g. Siri Remote needs the buttons and trackpad section, Maybe I could do an iPhone X for the BTT remote icon instead, and try get a neater but still organic star for the gestures... But i'm pretty sleepy and heading to bed for now..zz

I like them all very much! (Siri Remote needs the buttons, at least the white one, but apart from that it's great)

2 Likes

Funky pop out apple script editor added in v2.753, with only 10 lines of code and no duplicate code :smiley:. And it will automatically work for all apple script related things in BTT aaaand it supports UNDO. This new architecture is great!

https://community.folivora.ai/uploads/default/original/2X/5/5898e786189ffc1118a1d1a9f32814ac9cef8f72.mov

4 Likes

:partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:

(PS ⌘C ⌘V ⌘A are disabled again - but only in the old UI)

It can still get disabled when you switch between the old one and the new one. I'll probably add a workaround for that before the final release.

1 Like

Nice!

Quicken up that animation though, I see it being a bit annoying while editing stacks of triggers.

Maybe add some expo easing and making it 0.2s