Multiple Triggers Conflicting Even When Disabled

Hi there! I've run into a problem and am not sure how to resolve it.

I use BTT to make editing photos in Lightroom faster by using keyboard shortcuts to move my mouse to different spots on my screen. For example, I'll press the "D" key to make the mouse jump to hovering over the exposure slider so I can quickly tweak that with my arrow keys.

My problem is that I've started switching back and forth between working on my laptop, and using an external monitor. Because the screen resolutions are different, my actions of "Move X:00000, Y:00000" won't translate.

To get around this, I made a duplicate set of triggers mapped to the proper positions on my external monitor.

I assumed I would be able to just disable the set of actions for my laptop, and enable the set for my monitor, and vice versa.

The problem is that this doesn't seem to work. Right now, I have all of my "monitor" actions enabled, with the "laptop" actions disabled and it works fine. However, if I disable the monitor actions and enable the laptop actions, none of the actions work at all. If I have both sets enabled, it is recognizing both sets because if I press my "D" key for example, I get a little dropdown menu with the option to select either action.

I've tried putting these sets of actions in different groups, but the same issue persists. Does anyone have any suggestions? If I completely delete the actions for the monitor, suddenly the laptop actions work properly, but these seems like an annoying workaround.

TLDR: Have identical triggers with slightly different actions, but disabling one of them still conflicts with the active trigger.

I think I had a similar problem some time ago. I remember thinking: Why do I have to delete a disabled action entirely for another to work?

Anyway, if you use "D" to move the mouse, how do you type the letter "D"? Assuming you don't need the letter, you can try this as a workaround if you want.

• "D" short press triggers the action on your internal monitor.
  • "D" long press triggers the action on your external monitor.

Or vice versa. This would have the advantage that you have (almost) the identical trigger, but there should be no problems with conflict menu, so you can leave both always enabled.

Thanks for the reply Frank! It does seem like some sort of bug.

Whilst in Lightroom, I don't need to type the letter "D" (and others) except at the very end of my workflow if I'm naming files, in which case I just disable BTT entirely.

I appreciate your solution, however because of how quickly I'm using triggers to jump around the screen, I need it to be short presses in both cases (I'll often use several triggers in a handful of seconds - I basically live in Lightroom for my work so speed is essential haha)

I'm hoping there is some other workaround, because as you mention, needing to delete a disabled trigger for another to function seems odd.

do you have the experimental dropbox or icloud sync enabled?

Within BTT? I don't believe I've ever touched those settings. I only use Google Drive for personal cloud storage.

I understand exactly what you mean. Speed is everything :smiley:

But maybe you have a wrong idea about "long press". "long" doesn't have to be long at all. I have set up a minimal difference between short/long for my F-Keys that still works reliably. It takes some practice to master this, but then it's really fast. :bullettrain_front:

Short:

Long:

I know, probably still not what you want :smirk:

Mh, maybe this. Set up two different presets. One for the internal screen and one for the external. But with key sequences, not shortcuts. That would always be short press. I don't know, maybe that works. :man_shrugging:

Thanks again Frank! I'll have to give this a shot. One quick question, when you mention "key sequences" vs shortcuts, what do you mean by that? Cheers!

First, I have no idea if this will work. The idea is to replace the shortcuts that don't work with what you want to do.

A Key Sequence is a trigger that consists of any string. In your case just the letter "d". It looks like this.

Then add your action. Key Sequences have the disadvantage that what you type has to be undone afterwards. In your case again "d".