Losing App-Specific keybindings in firefox

Describe the bug
I have a couple of keybindings configured to be active only in firefox. These keybindings will randomly stop functioning.

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):
This is happening on both the laptop's built-in keyboard, and an attached Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic keyboard

Device information:

  • MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
  • High Sierra 10.13.6
  • BetterTouchTool version: 2.660

Additional information (e.g. StackTraces, related issues, screenshots, workarounds, etc.):

I've tried to isolate any actions I may be taking in Firefox that causes the bindings to get dropped, but I haven't been able to do so. Switching away from Firefox and back will restore the keybindings. I've tried creating these app-specific bindings both with the "App Specific" menu, and by adding a Conditional Activation Group with the bundleidentifier set to "org.mozilla.firefox".

I also have Karabiner-Elements installed. I only use it to bind Fn-Key actions. None of the Karabiner-Elements bindings are connected to the keys I have mapped in BTT for Firefox.

Maybe Firefox is enabling Secure Input and not disabling it afterwards. Does BTT show a secure input warning when you click the BTT Menubar icon (on the top of the menu)?

Hi Andreas, thanks for the prompt response.

I just checked, and secure input is not enabled.

I have found a way to reproduce the issue. The keybindings start getting ignored when I focus an input field within the browsed website. Highlighting text on the web page also causes the problem. Returning the focus to say, the URL bar does not cause the bindings to become un-ignored.

I created a fresh Firefox profile with no extensions and all default settings. The problem still happens there.

I used Karabiner's event viewer to try and see if anything weird was happening with the current Frontmost Application. It is not showing a change in the Frontmost Application when the bindings become ignored.

I still run into this pretty regularly.

My "workaround" is that I use a keyboard shortcut to just kill and restart BTT and that hooks things back up. It is very odd, though.

Could be related: Keyboard shortcuts unreliable

I should have also noted that it's not just my keyboard, it is also my mouse that is affected.