Huge download, after allowing BTT to have network access

Describe the bug

Why is it downloading such a huge file? (721.7 MB)

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):
Macbook Pro 2019

Screenshots
Added above

Device information:
Added above

Additional information (e.g. StackTraces, related issues, screenshots, workarounds, etc.):

maybe you downloaded some presets? (apart from presets BTT can only load updates & corresponding release notes)

As far as I can see this is the only preset I have downloaded "F-Keys" which provides some "F1, F2, F3" functionality.

I highly doubt that it would be a ~700 MB download

Screenshot 2022-06-01 at 19.18.44

Since this morning BTT has downloaded another ~100 MB of data. I'm going to disable it for now.

What tool are you using to monitor this? I assume this is some sort of display error. Unless you trigger some functions inside of your presets that download stuff - in that case that might be counted for BTT.

The tool used to monitor this is TripMode for Mac. I checked in Wireshark and I can't see directly that BTT is downloading something, it seems to happen in bursts. I have however checked via my provider and this is happening.

Screenshot 2022-06-01 at 19.27.21

Here is the total downloaded for today.

Ok I force rolled back to the latest version supported for me and here is a part of the wireshark log after starting the new version of the app.

In my BTT functionality I don't have any scripts to fetch data, only to open web pages. I currently run a minimal touch-bar with only a menu for FN keys, and three website shortcuts.

would you be able to use charles or proxyman (trial version) app to check the exact urls/data this is loading?

There is not much it could load from folivora.ai, maybe for some reasons it’s trying to load the same update over and over. Could you try turning off auto update?

Thanks, that's a useful tool I didn't know about :+1:

I don't see it requesting huge data yet but will reply when I do.

especially the ssl proxying is really useful , but needs to be enabled per domain so it can read ssl traffic

BTT is still downloading daily around 80 Mb of data, perhaps it's trying to update or something?

Screenshot 2022-06-10 at 12.33.42

I haven't been able to catch it yet with proxyman as it's always happening in the morning when I first open my computer, and I forget to check it until I see later.

For now my workaround is to deny BTT all network access using TripMode

Have you tried to disable auto-update in the settings?

I'll try that and update tomorrow if it fixes the issue

This morning BTT has only downloaded 76kb so it seems to be something to do with the auto-update.

Perhaps it's because I'm on a legacy version and haven't paid to update to the last version?

Screenshot 2022-06-23 at 13.39.35