How can I access the "selected_text" variable from Shell script?

Thanks, I am also looking forward to using selected text in shell script, the use case for me is that I want to pipe the output of shellscript to vscode.
With javascript I am not sure How do i do that.

the variable is now available - also from javascript you can easily run shell scripts like described here: Using Java Script (not JXA) ยท GitBook

Wow, Do you have an example of that variable ?
I am currently doing the same using Popclip app but that is not extensible, if I can get this to run via BTT, then I can add this to floating menu

random_file="/Users/abc/throwaway/$(openssl rand -hex 8).json"; python3 /Users/abc/python_files/display/GammaCurl.py "$POPCLIP_TEXT" > "$random_file"; code "$random_file"; sleep 1; rm "$random_file"

I think this should work when using the "run real javascript" action. You might need to provide environment variables if the python script depends on some.

(async ()=> {

let selectedText = await callBTT('get_string_variable', {variable_name:'selected_text'})

// put the shell script into a string (single backticks are great for multiline strings)
let shellScript = `random_file="/Users/abc/throwaway/$(/usr/bin/openssl rand -hex 8).json"; /usr/bin/python3 /Users/abc/python_files/display/GammaCurl.py "${selectedText}" > "$random_file"; code "$random_file"; sleep 1; rm "$random_file"`;

let shellScriptWrapper = {
    script: shellScript, 
    environmentVariables: 'PATH=/usr/bin/' //optional e.g. PATH=/test/;VAR2=/test2/;
};

let result = await runShellScript(shellScriptWrapper);
returnToBTT(result)

})();

Thanks for getting back. I tried 2 things and both of them failed to fullfill my usecase

1. Tried your method which you posted above , The problem is that selected text is getting cut off in between when I try to select the complete JSON request that I am trying to curl. I verified that by just using the below and piping it to vscode to check the selected text
echo "${selectedText}"
  1. Tried to directly use the ${selected_text} variable using the Execute shell script Action, the variable does not seem to work and is not selecting any text.

maybe there is a misunderstanding, this variable does not select text - it contains the currently selected text

Thats my understanding too, so using mouse I select the complete json request which I have in an editor and execute this BTT script.

This can only work if you use the run real javascript action and get the variable value first

let selectedText = await callBTT('get_string_variable', {variable_name:'selected_text'})

Here is a fully working script, which uses the say command to speak the selected text:

(async ()=> {

// put the shell script into a string (single backticks are great for multiline strings)
let shellScript = `say ${selectedText}`;

script: shellScript

};

returnToBTT(result)

})();

Yes, Sorry if I was not clear earlier. I Used the whole script that you pasted and instead of running my python script, just to check if the selected text is properly being selected or not, i used echo
Here is the script that I run and saw that selected text is getting cut off and it is not selecting the complete text that is meant to be selected, is there some cap on selection?

(async ()=> {

let shellScript = `random_file="/Users/abc/throwaway/$(openssl rand -hex 8).json"; echo "${selectedText}" > "$random_file"; code "$random_file"; sleep 1; rm "$random_file"`;

environmentVariables: 'PATH=MY PATH (Cant share)' //optional e.g. PATH=/test/;VAR2=/test2/;
};

returnToBTT(result)

})();

There shouldn't be, does the slected text contain quotes? If so they would need to be escaped first, maybe something like this would work:

(async ()=> {

let escapedSelectedText = JSON.stringify(selectedText).slice(1, -1);

let shellScript = `random_file="/Users/abc/throwaway/$(openssl rand -hex 8).json"; echo "${escapedSelectedText}" > "$random_file"; code "$random_file"; sleep 1; rm "$random_file"`;

environmentVariables: 'PATH=MY PATH (Cant share)' //optional e.g. PATH=/test/;VAR2=/test2/;
};

returnToBTT(result)

})();

It does contain quotes, Its a proper JSON request that I will be making to a service. I am not sure if I can share the request or the text , but let me try to anonymize it and share

Ah, then with the initial version it would cut off at the first quote because it would insert the whole selected text with the quote in the command (and the command itself expects a quote to end the "echo"

Did not get what you meant.
Its still not working, I suspect it has something to do with string itself, but I am not able to figure it out
Here is the request I am trying to select

The Problem is there is a user agent string in the request and that is causing some problems. I can take it from here. Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

"Dalvik/2.1.0 (Linux; U; Android 7.1.2; AFTMM Build/NS6287)"

This string is causing problems

Weird, I don't see anything that would need further escaping in this :-/

It looks like I need to escape the " in this string with \ , so basically convert it into

\"Dalvik/2.1.0 (Linux; U; Android 7.1.2; AFTMM Build/NS6287)\"

But I am not sure why only this particular field, since the request have various other strings enclosed within " "

The weird thing is, the let escapedSelectedText = JSON.stringify(selectedText).slice(1, -1);
should already do this

My bad , I tried the stringify approach again and it worked, looks like the first time I did something wrong when trying this :frowning: Soo sorry for your time.

Ah great! I'll add an example like this to the docs :slight_smile:

1 Like