HELP: Applesciript Update_Trigger / Add a trigger to All Groups automatically

You can try this now in v2.668 alpha (to create sub condition in the conditional activation group editor, press option while clicking the + buttons)

1 Like

-RELIEF-

• no more copying an infinite amout of in-group triggggerss!
  • no need to worry about having triggers perfect before updating them!
  • no more headaches when updating trigger code!! (pasting updates into the infinite amout is so tiring)
  • I can apply settings to one which will apply it to everywhere
  • Preset size probably just went down a heap
  • I'm guessing the performance improves also as BTT wouldn't need to reload all the copies of widgets

Thanks so much! Will definitley use a heap.

@GoldenChaos @GoldenChaos @GoldenChaos @GoldenChaos @GoldenChaos

02%20am
You have served me well. Farewell, my clipboard group

Edit:
It's adding to groups well, but exclusions seem to be a bit buggy. I still need to adapt the preset to the change and it may be some logic errors on my side, but I'll get back if I find anything.

I'm confused, is this the "reuse widget" functionality I've been asking for for a long time?

It doesn't seem to be, since I don't always want the menu bar to appear in every open group. Am I missing something? The modal widget groups still need to remain fullscreen. And what about modifier menus etc?

Sorry if I'm being dense x_x

Yes, it allows one widget to appear within all groups / groups of choice.

If you use Conditional Activation groups to hold your persistent widgets, you can exclude them from specific groups.
I'm just merging this change into my AQT Control Strip and it's working great so far.

I think you'd still need seperate ones for the modifiers, but they don't need to be within every group anymore

1. Add your persistent triggers to a new conditional activation group

2. for each persistent trigger, check the new option "Also show in any Touch Bar group that is opened" in trig/widget settings

3. Edit the conditional activation group as below to exclude them from appearing in certain groups:

1 Like

Sweet. I'll give this a shot!

It would still be nice to have a more generic "reuse Touch Bar item with UUID", though. This seems like a roundabout way of achieving the same thing. @Andreas_Hegenberg

1 Like

With that method wouldn't you still need to add the resused widget to every single group?

In my case I have a HEAP of groups, which all need the control strip. it's a mega pain to paste the persistent widgets into them all. This one is kind of an auto-insert method

You would, but it wouldn't matter since they'd just be aliases for the original widget. So there wouldn't be reused code or an additional performance hit, and it would work for things like modifier menus.

Actually, what about Right Click -> "Create Alias" as a way to do it in the UI? :joy:

I will say I've avoided CAGs because they are so intimidating. But I'll persevere!!

my main problem, and the main cause of this solution is to reduce the copy/pasting into folders.

Here's the workings of my preset, I'd need to do that for every single group to get the same 'persistent widget' feel.

Play the video in safari.

aha i missed one of the old persistent widgets at the end there, deleted it in favour of the new system as i'm doing throughout the preset right now

I think I just need to try refactoring and see where this system excels and where it falls short. It'll be good practice anyway since I don't think I"ll be able to add deep 3rd party app key sets without using conditional activation groups.

1 Like

@Andreas_Hegenberg, (@GoldenChaos)

Just finished implementation of the new feature for AQT b3.3.2.
Working as expected!

One bug though, Sometimes it's seen to flicker off with my triggers hiding themselves now and then. Switching app groups and coming back to the previous app seems to fix it relatively occasionally. It's very usable but sometimes an annoyance as it disappears once in a while.

Here's the preset as of now
AquaTouch-b3.3.2_dev20dec2018.bttpreset (23.0 MB)

@yuuiko I'll look into that! As always, if you see a pattern for this issue # please let me know.

@GoldenChaos aliases will still be useful, but with conditional activation groups you can do many things much faster.

Also unfortunately aliases are more complicated than I anticipated, which is why they haven't been added yet :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Also another bug, sometimes clicking a (i'll call them a persistent trigger, a trigger that has a 'show in groups' on) that opens up another group, it has trouble opening up.

It opens the group, but then it hides the BTT TouchBar.

When opening it up again, it shows the group open. but as soon as i close this group, the triggers disappear and it's nearby elements get weirdly misplaced. It doesn't fix itself.

When I close the messed up set, and then open the bar again, it opens up orderly again but without the persistent triggers. A few moments later they appear automatically.

Seen especially in my AQT safari sets.
download the problem preset in my previous reply

The video only seems to work in safari? try that if you're on chrome.

thanks, I'm away until Saturday, then I'll look into that!

1 Like

@yuuiko can you maybe create a very simple preset that can reproduce this? I'm having a hard time following the steps and see what settings in the preset might have a influence :slight_smile:

And one more question:
Shouldn't the new "Show App Default Touch Bar, Hide Control Strip in case BTT Bar is activated" option be check for pretty much everything in your preset?

Thanks for taking a look! I’ll try get one up, but it wont be tomorrow because i’m out then.

Answer:
No, it’s either show BTT touchbar, hide CS or show macOS, hide CS.

Some layouts are designed to open automatically, thats all.

e.g. when you open firefox, it doesn’t have a macos touchbar and it’ll be a hassle to tap the button to open it every time, so I set it to open automatically with ‘show BTT bar, Hide CS’. Same goes with chrome, the AQT can completley replace chrome’s native set so AQT auto-opens for you to use.

Additionally, when you make an unsupported app active, the ‘unsupported’ conditional activation group should kick in and auto-close the AQT set. (when you open this one it just opens a gesture bar showing that it’s not supported while allowing you to change vol/brightness/keebBacklight with one tap and a gesture instead of looking for a slider handle as per the native macos widgets)

@GoldenChaos, you might want to read this thread.

But since the feature is implemented, let’s move this bug squish discussion to BTT 2.66x discussion - Problems with new features .