GoldenChaos-BTT development update + roadmap!

Happy Apple Event Day, folks! I know it's been quite a while since I've released a new version of GC, and for that I deeply apologize. However, I wanted to let everyone know that I am currently working on the next version of GC and expect to be back to regular updates now :slight_smile:

I've got a laundry list of improvements I'm making, but this time I thought it would be a good idea to post my entire current development roadmap. This is honestly as much for myself as it is for you guys, and will help keep me focused as I get back into a good release cadence. I'll keep this roadmap thoroughly updated so you guys always know what I'm working on.

My current plan is to have the next version out within the next few days, basically just in time for Big Sur's final release, so I'm keeping things small to start out. A HUGE thank you to everyone who has been so patient waiting for the next versions of GC - I promise it will be worth it!

(PS - to get myself back into the swing of things I released a mini-project called FacePorts where I used Clockology to port all the faces Apple withholds from 42mm and 38mm watches. Check it out if you've got a Series 2 or Series 3!)

GoldenChaos-BTT Development Roadmap

Last updated on Tuesday, November 10th

In Progress

• Option to disable GC system menu bar item from GC settings window
  • Support for new "Charging on Hold" battery charging state in Big Sur
  • Fixes for Things widgets

Up Next

• Auto-disable esc and fullscreen keys when on 16" mbp
  • Fixes for graphical glitches on 16" MBP
  • Option to disable all esc keys
  • Option to disable fullscreen key when regular esc key is enabled

Coming Soon

• Add slight delay when invoking cmd menu to reduce UI blinking
  • Hide True Tone button when on unsupported Mac
  • “Native Touch Bar” menu bar button
  • PiP button
  • Percent-only option for battery widget
  • Option to hide date and time
  • Option to show seconds on clock
  • OmniFocus home strip and modal widgets
  • Cloud drive service widgets for home strip and menu bar
  • DropOver menu bar item (tap to create new Dropover shelf)
  • Rewind/Fast Forward support
  • Set custom names for bluetooth quick-connect devices from GC settings window
  • Customize large/med/small date formats from GC settings window
  • Customize step length for multi-finger gestures from GC settings window
  • Customize the Control Strip from GC settings window
  • Screensaver button for Control Strip
  • Capture Selection button for Control Strip

Backlog/Needs Research

• AirPlay/Sidecar menu bar item
  • Sidecar support for AirPlay controls
  • Answer/Decline buttons for FaceTime
  • Google Docs widget set + menu bar tab
  • Spotify add current song to library button
  • Edge browser support
  • Opera browser support
  • Vivaldi browser support
  • Brave browser support

Microsoft Edge browser support maybe? :roll_eyes:

And really thanks for your effort... Your work it's amazing and add a lot of value to the touch bar :wink:

Kind regards!

1 Like

Thanks for your work here! A few general comments:

I much prefer this preset over AquaTouch. Ultimately, I think GC being consistent across apps is a more useful design than having the view change depending on what app is open. It keeps things simple and efficient. I think this is what Apple got wrong in the first place and was the core insight behind vas3k’s original post years ago.

GC actually goes a step further and adds a browser mode (along with other modes: clipboard, calendar, weather, etc.). Importantly, this is accessible regardless of whatever app is currently in focus. GC could be extended in this direction by adding other “modes”. A Google Doc mode could operate similarly to the browser mode, and be toggleable via a Google Doc mode button in the Menu Bar group.

P.S. I wrote a post in the feedback thread with some specific improvement suggestions.

Imprint | Privacy Policy