Exported lifetime license is recognized as two-year license when imported on new computer

Describe the bug
Hi, I exported my lifetime license from one computer, then tried to import it to another; however, on the new computer I'm being warned that the license was only for two years of updates. I can see on the BTT about screen on the old computer it says it's a lifetime license. Any advice on what I should do? I believe this is a bug unless the lifetime license only covers one computer at lifetime and multiple computers for two years.

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):
Old computer: 2015 MacBook Pro
New computer: 2018 MacBook Pro

Screenshots
If applicable, add screenshots to help explain your problem. (You can just paste or drag them here)

Device information:

• Type of Mac: MacBook Pro
  • macOS version: Old Mac: 10.14.1. New Mac: 10.14.3
  • BetterTouchTool version: 2.729

Hi Ben,

probably it exported an older license of yours, there is a random bug that sometimes does this. I need to look into that.

Do you still have the license mail for the lifetime license?
You can also manually copy the license from this folder: ~/Library/Application Support/BetterTouchTool

Hi Andreas,

I tried the bettertouchtool.bttlicense file from that folder with no luck. I see there is a urlimported.bttlicense file here too, though. I'll try that one.

I didn't end up doing that, I actually found the original email and was able to use the URL import from that, which added a urlimported.bttlicense file.

So if you're looking for a place to look for the bug, that may be it. Need to check for urlimported license files as part of the export.

Got it working now at least, thank you!

1 Like