CPU Usage > 100% on Catalina

If you have the experimental dropbox sync enabled, try to disable that :slight_smile:

Seems to work.

Cheers!

Great tool!

Hi there,
I am having the same problem here : BTT eating a full CPU after waking the machine up.
Please find attached a sample of the process while the problem was occuring.

Config

Hardware: MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) - MacBookPro14,2
Version of BTT: 3.209 (1386)
Some config details:

• Mostly keyboard shortcuts
  • Exprimental dropbox sync: off
  • BetterTouchTool Webserver: off
  • Allow external BetterTouchTool scripting: on
  • Automatically switch to old keyboard implementation: on
  • Restart BTT after wake from sleep: on
  • BTT remote: off
  • window snapping: off
  • Touch bar support: on

Let me know if you need some more info, or some experiment that could help !

Sample of BetterTouchTool.txt.zip (68.5 KB)

Same here.

Device information:

• Type of Mac: mbp 2018
  • macOS version: 10.15.3
  • BetterTouchTool version: (please post the exact version - not just "the latest one")

Sample of BetterTouchTool.txt.zip (70.9 KB)

In your case it looks like some apple scripts triggering recursively, but I can't tell for sure. Are you using any touch bar presets?

Yes, I am using aqua preset currently, guess I have to change the polling rate of applescripts by myself.

Just wondering, is it possible to run the applescripts on events instead run repeatedly?

Depends, what kind of events are you looking for?

However the aqua touch preset should be ok, I haven't heard of excessive CPU usage for that one yet. Did you change any of the configs for that preset?

Yes, I played it around for some time, such as changing applescript widgets into touch bar buttons, disabled/deleted some buttons I don't need, and test some applescripts in the Script Editor. All I'm trying to do is to decrease the usage, I don't know where it went wrong.

As for the events, I'm looking for bluetooth/wifi togge events, for instance, if my airpods are disconnected, I hope BTT can catch the event and run some applescripts.

There's one more thing I want to ask you, if I move a group into another group (trying to organise the presets), open touch bar group actions doesn't work anymore, is it expected?

Groups inside of groups are currently not supported (I need to fix the possibility to drag them into each other :see_no_evil:). I plan to add support for them at some point.

Bluetooth toggle events are currently not available, however there is a very lightweight way to check the bluetooth connection state for a specific device, see this: Compact AirPods widget with User-Friendly Setup

I'm currently adding more notification based triggers, bluetooth and wifi are good candidates. (Wifi is already possible using a conditional activation group, but I'll make it a bit easier soon)

If you are not on the latest alpha I'd also try that before making changes - there have been some good performance improvements lately.

1 Like

Thanks for the info.

BTW, restart the BTT seems to fix the high usage problem.

Hello,
I've noticed that BTT is using a pretty high CPU all the time.
When I start up BTT, it uses nearly 200% of my CPU (I don't understand how it does), then decreases to 100~130% and stays in that range.
My laptop still works fine with that, however, it makes my laptop to get hot and the fans stay on for almost all the time.

Device:
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
OS Version: 10.15.4 (Catalina)
BTT Version: 3.346

Config:
Restart BTT After Sleep: ON
Auto Update: ON
Update to Alpha: OFF
Window Snap: ON
Silent Install: ON
Sync: OFF

Usage:
Have 8 Trackpad Gestures and that's it

I need help, please!

I have same issue.

Device:
MacBook Pro 2018 13"
macOS Catalina 10.15.4
BTT version: 3.364

Config:
Window Snap: OFF

Plus sometimes after waking up my Mac, it is very laggy. But it is not laggy, when I turn off BTT.

I have the same Problem

Device:
MacBookPro2018 13''
macOS Catalina 15.10.4
BTT version: 3.370
Window Snap: OFF

Having the same problem. It happens several times a day and causes severe lag until I kill the process.

Device:
MacBookPro 16in 2019
macOS Catalina 10.15.5 (happened on all previous versions as well)

Config:
BTT version: 3.386
Restart BTT After Sleep: OFF
Window Snap: ON
Silent Install: ON

I have no cloud sync, and the only thing outside of the box is a couple commands to snap windows to the left/right or other monitor.

if you don’t have cloud sync enabled this is a different problem. Maybe you have a shortcut set up that triggers itself recursively or something like that?

I only added hotkeys FN + arrow keys and FN, Shift + arrow keys to my install. It's now happened 4 times today. Going to have to remove the software at this point. Unfortunate as I've never had any of these issues until the last couple months after I let the program update.

FN based shortcuts could be problematic if another app enables secure input mode.

Try to take a process sample of BTT via activity monitor when it uses 100% and I’ll probably be able to tell what’s wrong based on that. (Of course you can always downgrade to an earlier version but I doubt this will help)

sample.txt.zip (47.8 KB)

I've been getting a similar problem as the others above for the last few months. I've decided to turn the app off because of this. Would love some help on how to solve this, as I love how easy it is to set hotkeys on BTT and use the touchbar. I use the AquaTouch preset (v3.5.8a) and my BTT version is 3.389

Hi there,

I have the same problem. At seemingly random moments BTT goes crazy. I have disabled cloud sync. It takes a couple of restarts of BTT to get it to settle down when it goes bezerk. I have used the same configuration for many months now but this problem is recent. I cannot link it to a specific application or moment. Sometimes it happens on cold boot, sometimes it doesn't. It's really annoying.

Sample of BetterTouchTool.zip (34.5 KB)

These are all the bindings I have, and have had for a long time:
Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 09.19.22

I would really like to get this fixed.