Check for update, auto-update and launch on startup not working

Describe the bug
Clicking on the "Check for updates" button in Advanced Settings yields an error:

BetterTouchTool can’t be updated when it’s running from a read-only volume like a disk image or an optical drive. Move BetterTouchTool to Applications folder using Finder, relaunch it from there, and try again.

BTT is in the Applications folder, however.

Auto update also doesn't seem to work, I had to manually update to 2.530.

I've restarted BTT, also the whole machine.

This has always worked before, no idea why it doesn't now.

Device information:

• Type of Mac: 2017 15" MBP
  • macOS version: 10.13.5
  • BetterTouchTool version: 2.530

PS: I've also noticed BTT won't launch automatically at login anymore, even though that option is enabled. I have a feeling that's a related issue...

BTT 2.503 also ignores the "enable automated update checking" setting (checks and nags anyway).

Regarding the launch at login issue, I've noticed that Login Items in System Prefs is cluttered with useless BTT entries:

Deleting all of them and disabling, then re-enabling the "Launch on startup" option in BTT produces a seemingly valid entry in Login Items, but on login it still doesn't launch. However, disabling the option, removing all BTT entries from the list and adding the BTT app manually (via the "+" button) works without problems—just like manually launching the app does.

I'm still having these issues with 2.645 on 10.13.6. A reply would be much appreciated.

I am having this same issue. It started after I did a clean install of High Sierra and reinstalled BTT. Now I have to manually launch BTT every time I restart the computer. I was hoping to find a solution for it. I guess I could try removing and reinstalling it.

Bump!!!
Hello! How come no response to this 2 months later?

I've deleted and reinstalled the latest veriosn since auto updates won't work. (gives me the "not in applications folder" error even though it is) So I have to delete and download manually.
No change in the failure to run or update.

I think that's a bug in High Sierra. You may need to manually drag it into the Application folder so macOS gets the permissions right.

I always drag apps manually to the /Applications folder (or, in many cases, a subfolder, though it doesn't seem to matter). The "... is not in the Applications folder" message appears anyway. Seen it with many apps (that's probably the bug you mean).

What do you mean by "permissions"? The file permissions are correct at 755, with ownership by the user and group "staff", just like all other non-App Store apps.

weird! Are you using some third party file manager or Finder itself?

I didn't mean the normal file permission but these new automagically managed ones that get added when dragging apps via Finder to the Application folder and cause these error messages if something goes wrong. I thought they fixed that issue at some point though, but if you are on 10.13.6 that doesn't seem to be the case.

I was just about to post that using Finder instead of Path Finder seems to have solved the issue. At least manual update checking is working again, I will report back in case auto-update or launch on startup should not be working as well.

I virtually never use Finder, been on Path Finder for 10 years probably, never had a problem like this before. (Those "Move to the Applications folder" messages, yes, but I too think those got cured somewhere along the way, the only one I was still seeing was the custom one in BTT's preference window.) Good to know Finder's now doing special things on simple operations like a file move...

PS: Not directly related, but I think the release notes are missing for the current version on the website. They stop at 2.717 and the latest download gave me 2.762.

I was just about to file a bug report about something else but then I realized that my BTT is version 2.427 when the most recent one is 2.717. From this I can only deduce that automatic updates aren't working here either, and I'm on Yosemite! I want to update in case it fixes the actual bug I was having, but I was unable to find any info on which BTT versions are compatible with which OS versions. It would be great to have a little OS version compatibility mention right under the "download latest" button, or elsewhere easily discoverable. I rely on BTT so heavily that I would really like to know about compatibility instead of test, mess things up and regret!

Coming back to this issue... auto-launch and manual update checking have been working properly since the above fix, but I still never get update notifications even though "Enable automatic update checking" is enabled. It's basically been this way for years. I have to launch the BTT config window, select "Check for regular updates" in the menu bar and only then am I offered updates (some of which must have been released for weeks or even months).

Any ideas?

(I'm on 10.14.6 and 3.261 now, but I doubt it matters, was the same on 10.13 and any previous BTT version.)

The last stable update was released in a november, so if you don’t have alpha updates enabled, this might be normal. Currently the new version is in the final testing stages, thus it will be available when checking manually but it’s not yet being pushed automatically

Is 3.261 not a stable update? I was offered this today when manually checking for regular (not Alpha) releases, but it didn't show up by itself when the config window was launched.

In any case, the issue has been ongoing at least since April 2019. Before it may have been the "special permissions" issue discussed above, but since then I also never got a single update notification even though manual checking has been working fine. So definitely not due to the lack of updates since November.

3.261 is considered stable but not yet rolled out automatically. When checking manually it will be offered.I do this to get more people to test after the alpha/beta phase but not push it to everybody in case there is some specific issue that was missed during alpha/beta.

If you sometimes check for updates manually it is quite possible you got all the updates before they rolled out automatically. In general the auto update seems to work fine according to my update statistics.

I see. I may have been misled by the dates shown in the release notes then. What's the typical delay for a stable update to be promoted to automatic update? I'm quite sure some updates were at least several weeks in the past when I checked manually. (And I certainly don't check for updates often – certainly less than once a month on average.)

Depends a lot :slight_smile: The current one has been in alpha since November because I did only have very little time to work on it. Now it should be faster again (stable auto rollout is expected in 2-3 days and it will probably have a higher version number, so let's see whether you'll get a notification)

By the way, if you enable the "silent update" option, it will only indicate the update with a red dot in the BTT menubar icon.

Yes, I'll watch out for the next update.

Silent updates are disabled. (As is the menubar icon.)

Well, it's been 20 days, I'm still on 3.261 and haven't gotten any update notifications. Release notes say current version is 3.332 from February 14th. If I check manually, I'm offered exactly that version. Has auto rollout still not occurred or is my auto update checking actually defective?