Can't Use BTT ESC button to skip Application Switcher

Describe the bug
Using the Apple ESC button in the Touch bar it can skip the cmd+tab Application Switcher when it's open (make it disappear). But with the BTT ESC button, is not working.

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):
Touch Bar

Device information:

• Type of Mac: Macbook Pro 15" 2017 i7 2.8 GhZ 16 GB RAM
  • macOS version: High Sierra 10.13.3
  • BetterTouchTool version: 2.503

Unfortunately this is a limitation of the Touch Bar api and can not be fixed as far as I know.

1 Like

This seems to be true regardless of whether I'm using the normal built-in 'esc' button (by selecting "Show ESC button on the left side of the Touch Bar") or a BTT-created 'esc' button that triggers an 'esc' action. Is that also expected behavior?

yes, unfortunately macOS completels disables any non-system touch bars while app-switcher or mission control are active.

I really recommend to remap capslock to escape, this is quite useful in many situations and is easy to trigger while using the app switcher (can be done in system preferences => keyboard = modifiers)

Is it possible to somehow keep the system ESC item while still having my custom setup always display to the right?

Regardless, +1 for getting a fix for this when it is possible as it is very inconvenient.

1 Like

+1 for this ask as well. really annoying.

1 Like

Hello.

Github user bmorton had a solution for this. Just reposting it here for anyone who is stuck with this issue.

All you need to do is open BTT preferences, make sure the 'advanced' tab is selected, then navigate to advanced settings>general>general stuff and tick 'disable BetterTouchTool while holding CMD'.

Assuming you aren't using configuration with different layouts for every modifier key (CMD) this should solve your problems.

2 Likes

@lukassr @kenahoo @btttb @eyaniv @Critter5000

Check out my thread here about this topic where I may of found a workaround that can be introduced in the future: I may have discovered a way to get the Touch Bar to work when using Mission Control