BTT Interferes With Other Snapping Apps

Describe the bug
Something about BTT interferes with other snapping applications.

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):
Macbook Trackpad & External Mouse

Screenshots

Device information:

• Type of Mac: Macbook Pro, 15", 2016.
  • macOS version: Catalina 10.15.4
  • BetterTouchTool version: (please post the exact version - not just "the latest one"): 3.362 (1578)

Additional information (e.g. StackTraces, related issues, screenshots, workarounds, etc.):
I use BTT for things like keyboard key mapping and custom snap areas, but I prefer Magnet's implementation of window snapping. I'm trying to use both together, but BTT seems to interfere with Magnet's snapping. See the video I posted, where I use one, then the other, and then them together.

Just disable window snapping in BTT :wink:

I did :slight_smile: check out the video. It’s either not disabling properly or something else is wrong

Ah sorry I didn't see that.

I'm not sure how Magnet decides when to show it's snapping functionality. I don't think BTT does anything that would block this (other snapping apps like moom also seem to work fine with BTT), maybe magnet explicitly tries to disable itself if BTT is running?

Possibly try to completely disable snap areas as well:

I'm not sure how Magnet decides when to show it's snapping functionality. I don't think BTT does anything that would block this (other snapping apps like moom also seem to work fine with BTT), maybe magnet explicitly tries to disable itself if BTT is running?

Thanks for the reply, @Andreas_Hegenberg. I don't think Magnet tries to disable itself as it does work most of the time. Snapping with hotkeys and snapping to sides of the screen work fine. The exception seems to be the top bar, and the issue goes away when BTT is no longer running.

Possibly try to completely disable snap areas as well

That certainly fixed it! Unfortunately, I love custom snap areas and use them all the time! Do you think this is a resolvable problem? I'd love to use Magnet for window snapping and BTT for custom snap areas. I know it's pretty weird to try and do that. I'm on my second 2 year license with BTT and I'd love to keep using it.

@Andreas_Hegenberg bump!

unfortunately this would probably require prettow y significant code changes in Magnet, custom snap areas are pretty hard to handle for other window snapping apps (depending on how they are implemented) because to show them BTT needs to overlay the screen with an invisible windlayer. I don't think this will be possible.

It looks like Magnet's code has some delay which causes BTT to show the overlay before Magnet checks what window is under the mouse cursor.

Gotcha, thanks. Well in good news at least the snapping bug that BTT had when I stopped using it's window snap features seems to be fixed. Now the main benefit of Magnet is hotkeys and the ability to snap windows into thirds and two-thirds (surprisingly used more often than I thought). I take it BTT has the ability to do both hot keys and thirds/two-thirds as well?

You can define any shortcut in the keyboard section and assign all sort of window resizing actions (either one of the predefined ones, or using the custom move/resize action, keyboard shortcuts can do whatever size/position you need).

If you need mouse based snapping to thirds the custom snap area feature lets you define any size / position you want and also assign keyboard shortcuts to it. Currently they are bound to a specific monitor, but this will change soon!

1 Like

Are the size/positions defined absolute or relative? For example, if I define a size/position to be the leftmost third of my 1920x1200 (16:10) monitor, and then I disconnect it and try to use the same shortcut on my 1920x1080 monitor, will it still be a third?

If you use the custom move / resize action you can define them relative. Snap areas are currently absolute.

Thirds are available as predefined positions though, so for these there is no need to use custom ones.

E.g.:

1 Like