BTT files in Library --> Preferences

I accidentally discovered that BTT creates quite a few files in "Library --> Preferences", for example this one.

I don't have a backup of these. :cold_face: What do these files do and should I backup them?

in preferences it should create one plist, it contains general settings (e.g whether it should launch on startup) but no trigger configuration.

In general still a good idea to backup the preferences folder as it contains config for most apps

ok.

One? I have at least five with strange names :slightly_smiling_face:

ah these are created by macOS and should be temporary. Sometimes macOS forgets to delete them.

You only need the com.hegenberg.BetterTouchTool.plist (or if you use setapp the com.hegenberg.bettertouchtool-setapp.plist)

Understood, thanks ... I have never used setapp before. No idea how the file got there.

I think you used to (or still do) download directly via Index of /releases - there will sometimes be setapp alpha releases on there as well (which is one reason why you should not download directly from there unless necessary :smiley: )

Ah, that's right... but where should I get the alpha versions if not from there? :slightly_smiling_face:

via the “check for alpha versions” menu item :slight_smile:

Ok, I don't know why, but I've gotten into the habit of doing this manually and have never had a problem with it...

it’s usually fine :wink: installing a setapp version also won’t hurt - but it will not run correctly

There's always something I didn't know yet. :upside_down_face: How do I recognize setapp versions?

currently special builds always contain a special letter - for setapp usually a “_s”

1 Like