Best way to trigger on "time of day"?

I've tried "Time based triggers" and don't find them to be reliable, especially when the mac is in some type of sleep. So in the past I used Calendar app to trigger automator / applescripts. In this case it's to play certain playlists at different times of day.

What's the most reliable way to do this in BTT? Right now I'm trying Calendar to open a dummy applescript application which triggers BTT by "Specific App Did Launch" but that seems overly complicated.

If I stick with this method is "Specific App Activate" more reliable than "Did Launch"?
Is there a better way to approach all this?

EDIT:
Also, when using this new method of Calendar -> Applescript App -> "App Did Activate/Launch/Terminate", I keep finding that BTT will run the set of actions 3x, very reliably. Ive tried all three (Activate, Launch, Terminate), and it runs 3x most of the time.

UPDATE: iCal "open file" likes to break because its not "On My Mac". apparently you cant have both anymore.

Automator works better than Applescript with ical events, so I now use a single automator to point to a series of applescripts set up in BTT. So if i want different things to trigger at 9, 12, and 3, I will have Cal events open the same Automator application, and it uses this script

on run {input, parameters}
tell application "BetterTouchTool"
trigger_named "AllCalEvents"
end tell
return input
end run

That is an applescript in BTT with script along the lines of "if hours are between x and y, run this named trigger".

Pretty convoluted but its working. Anything to get the scripts some distance from calendar (while still using its very reliable triggering)