šŸ†• [v3.6.9] AquaTouch ā€“ The Powerful Touch Bar Redesign.

Hi @Simon_Defarge,

Iā€™d like to know which version of AQT youā€™re experiencing the bugs in. Are you using the new b3.0.2 or the ā€˜stableā€™ v2.2.1?

Second, you used the word ā€˜crashā€™ a lot and Iā€™d just like to specify what that specifically means. Does the Toucb Bar just close in an animated fashion (and you can open it again) or does it abruptly freeze and disappear, with Better touch tool completley quitting?

Third, some possible answers:

Spotify Menu
Spotify does not have a touchbar set as it has a native one, but it does have controls within its now playing widget. Is this the one thatā€™s crashing (the NP widget) or is it the bar seen when spotify is active and frontmost?

Control Key
This was a known issue found not too long ago by @Dom however he said it was only in safari. hmm... this is a weird one as i didnā€™t have a trigger that uses control... Iā€™ll need to investigate this more.

Chrome
Iā€™m assuming you mean clicking itā€™s app settings inside the BTT window? not sure why this would happen and if it did, it would probably be a BTT error and not an AQT error, unless the file is corrupted somehow. Could you specify again which specific button makes it crash and how it crashes?

Mail app
Yes there is no mail support as the apple mail already has native support for the touchbar. Close AQT to use that one. You can tap the bar to do so, or click the green BTT button (on v2.2.1), or hold the apps icon (on b3.0.2)

Welcome Menu
This is intended behaviour. If you open BRTā€™s preferences, AQTā€™s welcome, setup, usage information and settings should show up for you to read and tinker with in the bar

Mission Control Freeze
This is an issue on BTTā€™s side.. Iā€™ve noticed this issue as well and itā€™s a bit annoying if you bring it up using the mission control action. @Andreas_Hegenberg, could you take a look?

Iā€™ve looked into scrubbers for the NP widgets but ultimatley i donā€™t know where to put them since their set is alredy very full! I have some new ides but this would be a lower priority as iā€™d like to get the other new features in AQTv3 polished up and stable.

Thanks for your help and, well your thankses! Iā€™m glad you enjoy your touchbar now! :grin:

Unfortunately macOS disables all custom Touch Bars when Mission Control or App Switcher is open. As far as I know, there is now workaround for this. Also there is no real way to detect when Mission Control is being opened, otherwise I could disable the custom Touch Bar during that time....

That's unfortunate... Well i guess it isn't much of an issue anyway..

i need help.. anyone?

@yuuiko

Well, when I use the word crash, it means AQT is crashing, and the original TB comes back.

For Chrome, I am talking about the left panel when you have the Apps Menu open. The Left Panel shows the active apps, and so if I go on Chrome from there, it crashs.

@Simon_Defarge,
Ah, in that case AQT is not crashing rather it's closing to let you use the native touchbar sets.

I'm unfamiliar with chrome since I rarely use it, so could you maybe attach a screenshot of the menu that is giving you problems? I'd really like to fix it!

Also, I'd like to know from my previous comment:

@yuuiko

Ok, I can understand that sometimes it goes back to the Original TB, the thing is, if that happens, pressing the BTT button won't bring AQT back...

Here is the screenshot

As it will be easier, here is the screenshot of the menu I am talking about concerning Spotify

So if I press the closing button, it will crash AQT.

Also, I noticed that sometimes the bar disappear for "no reason", what I mean is I don't really pay attention to what I am doing that could make it crash... I don't have the feeling to make anything wrong, but then the AQT is gone and I am back on the original TB... Is that a common issue ?

1. You have entered quit mode (you can see the orange 'tap to quit' label on the left side of your screenshot.) Quit mode is activated by holding command, and allows you to quit apps easily. This may be the reason why you're seeing chrome 'crash', it's actually the quit mode quitting the app. Instead, if you want to use the app switcher, just tap the apps while you see:

Of course, if you still have problems then keep giving me details!

2. Ah the widget. I did look into it and I found that that specific x button is not wired up properly. I've fixed this and will release the fix with b3.3.0.

Some apps cause AQT to automatically close to make way for the app's native TouchBar. I need to know very specific details for this one (e.g. What where you doing the moment that it closed unexpectedly, what did the bar show right before it closed? What app did you switch to, etc.) to determine if it was a designed close or a bugged close.

Thanks for your persistence!

@yuuiko

Yes it's because to take the TB screenshot I need to hold Shift + Command + 6, but when it crashes it's not because I am on Quit Mode.

Ok, I will try to pay attention to what I did haha Because honestly I don't even notice it, it's when I need the TB again that I realize that AQT has disappear and that the Native TB is back. I will try to determinate in which cases this is happening.

Thanks again for the time and efforts you are putting in this project :wink:

1 Like

@Simon_Defarge
Thanks for your consideration!

Hi All, Specifically, @Dom, @onaforeignshore, @pauxus, @Simon_Defarge, @iAmWaldo.

My to-do list is massive so i'd just like to ask you guys if you could spot anything I missed, if you wouldn't mind.

Show me the list

BTT TODO:

CURRENTLY:
smooth updating

NEXT:
:warning:loading icon for Control Mode mic and dark mode for AQTS

Help Popups
:warning:Add: Preferences
:warning:Update Setup Popups
:warning: add tip to install iStats

Settings (the one displayed in the touch bar):
:arrow_down: Compatibility Mode

yuuiko:

• Desktop switching in window snapping
  • Browsers to use full type sets?
    :white_check_mark: Blender Word Mode
  • Seamless Updating

DOM:

• Preference based escape key not working in CS
  • PiP button in youtube, skip ad (WiP, HELP! )
  • DnD / Bluetooth icons not switching

onaforeignshore:

• merge - New Outlook Support
  • merge - Web Widgets now support other browsers. Heā€™s implemented it in a combined way, but i think for the merge iā€™ll need to make seperate CAGrps because of layout differences.
  • merge - New Webmail Web Widgets

Simon_Defarge
:x:[cant fix] pressing control in any app will crash AT ?
:x:[cant reproduce] touching Chrome in the "Active Apps Menu" will crash AT ?

GC
ā€¢ Hide notification badges when DND is on

BUG:
:white_check_mark: small step haptic does not respond to the haptic switch
:white_check_mark: add new rule to haptic operators: if not 0

• esc key does not change style within presets. Need to update them to the widget
    :white_check_mark: Setup/Welcome bar does not appear on setapp BTT.

ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”Cancelled Changes
:x: [too gimicky] On Click Desktop Setting:

• Show Finder
  • Show Now Playing
  • Show Shedule

:arrow_down: blocky preview icons

ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”CHANGELOG b3.3.0 (so far)

Version Numbers are reformatted. b3.3.0
b0.0.0 - 'beta' (experimental, cutting-edge build. May be usable but might not be stable)
v0.0.0 - 'version' (stable afaik, officially released)
X.0.0 - Radical Change
0.X.0 - New App Support
0.0.X - Bugfix / Layout refinements only

Netflix Now Playing widget

• thanks to @iAmWaldo!
  • Calling All Users! I donā€™t have a netflix so I need some feedback on itā€™s performance.

YouTube Now Playing Widget

• Now supports returning ā€œPaused/Video Endedā€
  • tap to play/pause YouTube without switching to itā€™s window.

Google Chrome is now a full set.

• Retains most features from itā€™s native set
  • Added Features:
  • Tab Switching
  • Back/Forward buttons
  • Open Windows: Bookmark, Downloads, History, Reopen last closed, home.

Blender

• added ā€™Topā€™, ā€˜Sideā€™, ā€˜Frontā€™ Labels
  • Fixed duplicate ā€˜blenderā€™ and ā€˜Blenderā€™ app group

Fixes:

• Spotify NP widget closes the control strip instead of returning to the now playing widgets - fixed
  • The spacing for Notification Bubbles have been fixed and refined.
  • FB ā€™Notificaitonsā€™ spelling error
  • Setup and welcome should appear on Setapp BTT.
  • Digital Colour/Color tool has been merged into one group

Looks like quite a list. Thanks for your great work, BTW.

What I just noticed:

In Firefox, the Sidebar Buttons (Download and History) do not seem to work (they simply do nothing).

Cheers,

Pauxus

1 Like

Hey, a few questions,

Is there a way to stop Chrome from defaulting to native app's touchbar and keep using BTT?

I notice that you can hold Option and select Enter Game Mode, but when I do that it just disable AquaTouch and doesn't activate game mode.

Also for chrome, this is what shown if you open AquaTouch for Chrome:

It's messy and I'm not sure how to fix it, on top of that you can't scroll over to see the other widget thing (so you can only tap on play to open music widget).

In fact now that I tried it, it the same for a fair amount of app:

You can't scroll the widget selection thing and there are 2 close button.

I wasn't able to reproduce it but sometime there are like weird buttons show behind the esc buttons too (it's like the ESC button lay on top of other one)

i'm using b3.0.2

Thank!

Hi @jacquelinett,

Chrome

There are two types of layouts in AQT:

Default Set: The TouchBar layout provided by the app developers
Full Set: These always show for you and replace default sets. They do not hide to allow you to use the app's default set.
Extension Set: These focus on the default set provided by app developers. They provide additional actions but isn't intended to always-show. It's more like a quick actions popup.

In the next update b3.3.0, Chrome will be updated to be a 'full set', meaning a replacement UI. It doesn't close anymore and stays on for you to use.
You can see a preview of it here:

For now though, you can just right-click and select this:

That Bug

This is a known issue that is a bug from BTT. See this thread for details, but TLDR i'm just waiting for the fix to be released.

@yuuiko hank you so much!

I just have 1 last question,

I'm not sure how do I set up game mode, I have both preset downloaded, but when I switch back and forth from Option -> Enable Game Mode or the other way around, it seem like BTT just disable both AQT and AQT Game Mode.

@jacquelinett,
I see a potential bug here, what way are you trying to call GameMode? - please be specific e.g. from what app menu so I can pin down the cause. Thanks!

@yuuiko

Hmm, oddly enough I can't seem to press (and hold) Option and pick Game Mode anymore, which is really odd. I swear I could do it last night.

How would you switch to game mode without going to BTT and manually enable gamemode /disable BTT and vice versa?

Thank you

Thatā€™s odd....

I usually switch to gamemode via the control strip apps menu on v3, although i do admit itā€™s a feature I rarley use myself and it hasnā€™t been updated for a long time.

I entirley forgot that there where other ways of getting the gamemode button to show up (e.g. your ā€˜hold optionā€™) so maybe those methods arenā€™t updated for v3.

Try using the buttion in the apps menu and see how that goes.

This is great! Two things, in your v3 beta, the prerequisite terminal fan controls installs for Game Mode won't install on Mojave. Also is there an easy way to swap all shortcuts for Safari to Chrome?

Thanks for your work!

hi @Hazer,

Could you please provide more detail on the fan controls issue? I'm running mojave and it seems to operate fine, though I didn't initially install it on mojave.

Chrome is having an overhaul in the next version. I don't aim to bring safari widgets to other browsers in the next version, as my list is quite busy, but maybe in the next version.

Thanks for your support!

Notice for Everyone using AquaTouch v3

@Andreas_Hegenberg has rolled out some much awaited BTT features that i've been longing to implement into AQT.
These features will add further quality improvements and bug fixes, but will require you to update using BTT's Alpha release stream.
BTT's alpha versions are also still in testing phase so it may add a bit more bugs. AQTv3 is also in testing phase too, so I guess we could all come together to help Andreas solve any bugs with the new features. More people = more tests!

The final version of AQTv3 will only be released when these new BTT features are released in it's stable release.

Has the True Tone toggle issue been addressed somehow?

@tmxgkh,
We're working on it here: